Chapter 25

Neve's POV

The hum of the motorcycle vibrates through me, rumbling loudly. My hands are wrapped around Ember's waist, but my eyes are peeled for any danger.

We are gaining their attention, luring them out. Ember and I have been riding around the city for thirty minutes, trying to get them to follow us.

A large black truck pulls out of a parking space, then continues driving behind us for multiple blocks and turns. Another truck pulls out in front of us, leaving us surrounded.

Our plan is working.

The truck in front of us whips to the side, stopping sideways. We use this as an opportunity to bait them, using our powers to infuriate them.

With a lot of focus, I blast ice out of my hand, creating a ramp that goes over the truck.

We could have just gone around the truck, but where is the fun in that?

Ember continues speeding down the road as the truck starts following us again. One of the trucks is stuck, not being able to get past the ice. It turns around, going back the way it came.

"Mark. It's your turn," I say into the ear piece.

His job is to follow the truck back to their base, so we can rescue the people that are being experimented on and put an end to them, once and for all.

Ember smiles back at me, smirking. "Let's have some fun." She speeds up, hopping onto the sidewalk, making the truck follow us.

Next step of the plan is to distract this person so they don't know we are following the other one back. We almost cause the truck to run into a telephone pole, but they dodge before they can hit it.

The truck driver gets more aggressive as we get back onto the barren street. They speed up until they are beside us, and quickly swerve into our side. Ember quickly makes her way out of the hit zone, but the motorcycle leans a bit too far over to the side.

Doing the one thing I can think of, I put up a wall of ice beside us, holding us up. We continue driving sideways until I push off against the wall, putting us back upright again.

Ember decides it's time for the chase to come to an end, so as she drives ahead of the truck, she creates a line of fire. It gives us time to drive away without being followed, the fire not able to be put out unless Ember does it herself.

Everything is going according to plan, now to the next step.

"Mark, have you arrived?" I ask, wondering if we can infiltrate yet.

"Yes I have. Waiting for your signal to take out the few guards protecting the place." Mark sounds impatient, wanting to hurry up and take them down.

"Give us your location and we'll be there soon."

With that, we make our way to the final battle, determined to stop them from hurting any more innocent people.