17 || The Deal

--------------------------------------------
Edited on September 2, 2021.
--------------------------------------------

Inside the casino at the capital of Luo Yang City, you can hear people talking, coins rolling, and announcers shouting non-stop.

In a small alley behind the casino, a man around his forties was being physically assaulted. Every fist and kick were directly hit to his torso, he got beaten up until he begged for mercy.

"Please...please don't hit me! I will definitely pay back the money that I lost from gambling!"

He tried to speak even when blood was gushing out of his mouth.

"Pay back? How will you even pay all of that back? Ah Bao, count the amount that he owed to our casino!"

The leader of the men kicked the middle-aged man's chest forcefully, causing the old man to scream because of the pain.

"Okay!"

The man known as Ah Bao took out the receipt for the loan. (IOU) [sheet of papers with a fingerprint stamp on it]

"Uncle Fa owe our casino one thousand, three hundred, and forty five Yin Zi (money)."

"Uncle Fa, you heard it clearly."

The man kicked Uncle Fa for one last time and then slapped his face with the IOU papers.

"Non-nonsense!" Uncle Fa doubted his ears, "I clearly only owed you fifty-two Yin Zi!"

"Uncle Fa, do you even understand how compound interest works? If you still won't plan on paying your debt this month, you will have to pay a higher amount than this."

"I... How can I even pay back that much money!"

Although he knew that borrowing from the casino was a bad idea, he still couldn't control his urge to gamble. He always imagined that he would win back the money he lost through gambling.

"Of course we know that you don't have that much money... But you still have your daughter. Take your daughter to the Blue Mansion (brothel), and consider your debt as paid."

"I will never sell my daughter to the Blue Mansion!"

"You won't? Fine! Keep on kicking him!" The leader of the men ordered his men to keep assaulting Uncle Fa.

"Aggh! Don't-don't hit me, please! I will pay back the money someday, but I can never sell my precious daughter to the Blue Mansion, she is still a maiden!"

"Since you don't want to sell your daughter, it's much better if we hit you to death!"

Another fist landed on Uncle Fa's nose, causing it to bleed.

"Argh... Spare... Spare my life, please!"

"So, will you sell your daughter or not?"

"I...I..."

Uncle Fa hesitantly opened his mouth. He treasures his daughter, but he also wants to live. He was about to agree, but suddenly from the end of the alley, a woman's voice was heard.

"I will be the one to pay his debt."

"Lady, are you sure? Do you even know how much money he owes us?"

"Is this enough?"

The woman threw a bag filled with coins. The leader of the men looked inside the bag and shouted,

"Enough! Since the lady paid the old man's debt, the IOU now belongs to the lady!"

After he said that, he gave the IOU papers to the woman and left with his group.

The woman was wearing plain clothing, and she was also wearing a hat. It was obvious that she didn't want others to know about her identity. She didn't talk much and just took the IOU.

Not long after that, the woman from the back alley came closer to Uncle Fa.

"Are you Uncle Fa?" The woman asked. Uncle Fa couldn't recognize her voice.

".....Yes."

Uncle Fa nooded his head and slowly stood up, "Unfortunately, I don't know you, my lady. Why did you decide to help me?"

"In exchange for helping you pay your debt, I will make a deal with you. If this deal succeeds, you will gain much more money than what you owe."

She paused for a moment, then her voice suddenly changed into a ruthless tone.

"But if you don't participate in this deal, not only will your debt be doubled, but your daughter will be dragged to a brothel and be forced to sleep with a criminal."

"What?" Uncle Fa was terrified. "You... Who exactly are you, and why me?"

"You only need to complete our deal, you don't need to know who I am!" The woman replied.

———

That night, the maid who served the tenth princess, hurried back to the palace, and entered the princess's secret room.

"Is it done?" The tenth princess, Dai Rui Qin coldly asked her maid.

"Yes. The person agreed to do the task." The maid answered.

Dai Rui Qin's eyes flashed with vicious ruthlessness, and replied,

"I never imagined that third brother was that useless. This time, I will do it myself! I wonder, how will Xiao Zhi Zhi protect this woman now."