Be Grateful!

Chapter sixteen

"You took forever in that shower, loquita!"

"Yeah, yeah. Be grateful that I've even decided to go with you, you old bitch."

"As if you had any choice in the matter." Gloria threw a bundle of clothes at me.

" And whose scrubs are these anyways?"

"Does it really matter? Just hurry up and get dressed." Gloria's patience was nonexistent. You would think, she was doing me a favor.

"Did you have to bring that ugly fanny pack?"

"Yes bitch, it's as essential as your ugly face." I flipped my box braids and smirked as Gloria gritted her teeth.

" I'm serious Loquita; you should have brought a bag that is big enough to hold supplies. You know like Neosporin, painkillers,  nine months worth of prenatal vitamins, all the things that you may need for the future."

I grimaced slightly. "Honestly, I've had my mind on other things."

"What's more important than being pregnant during the apocalypse."

"How to become unpregnant during the apocalypse."

Gloria opened her mouth and closed it quickly. "Look, I know what you are getting at and I do not support that. You and that pendejo laid down and made a baby, and now you guys need to take care of it."

"And where is he now?" Tears filled the ducts in my eyes, but I refused to let them out. I had to stay strong. "He didn't even come back for me....even though he knew all of this stuff was happening. He just left me in the apartment to die. They both did." My voice was louder than it should have been. "So now I will handle my situation, my way."

"Bring a sweater, It might get chilly later." Gloria left the room and left me to get dressed alone.

We said our goodbyes to the nearly comatose Jazmine and went our way. It was clear she needed that blood transfusion ASAP.

Gloria and I trekked our way to the hospital on foot. We took the back alleys, behind the buildings, in order to avoid the main streets. The afternoon was way too quiet and the streets were way too clear. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I couldn't help but feel like someone was watching us. I guess Gloria felt it too because every so often she would stop and look around. She occasionally threw a bottle or stick to see if anyone or thing would be attracted to the sound. "They can't see very well. So they depend on their other senses." She explained. "So If you're with your baby and ever get cornered don't move; don't even breathe."

"Hopefully, neither of those things ever happen." I rolled my eyes. Rats scurried at the sound of my crocs slushing through puddles of liquid that I hoped was not pee. "Anyway, why do we have to wear scrubs? It's not like there are any doctors or nurses in the place. You said that all of the patients and doctors were transferred to the CDC in Washington DC."

"Eres una sinverguenza. You're a scoundrel." She spat on the floor in disgust." And I said most of them. I have scouted the place and seen that some doctors and nurses have come back to the hospital periodically. The city workers have formed some kind of alliance. on the inside The medical professional walk up to the door, knock, and a police officer let's them inside. They probably trade medical treatment for supplies and rations."

"What if they ask us for treatment. I don't know shit about shit" Gloria stopped abruptly which sent me crashing into her. She covered her mouth with one finger. "Shut the fuck up. Loquita." She whispered. My eyes followed her gaze. There was a man clothed in business attire laying face down. The bones were sticking out of the both of his legs..

"Is he dead?" I whispered.

"If it's not we have to make sure that it is.." Gloria said moving towards it. "Kick it,'' she whispered to me. I almost threw up in my mouth. "Hell No" I whispered back.

Gloria rolled her eyes and cursed under her breath. She took her little orthopedic shoes kicked the body, once then twice more. It didn't stir. "Pass me your weapon." She whispered

" I didn't bring one." I whispered back. Gloria looked back at me with a face full of frustration. "Then what the fuck is in the fanny pack?"

"Lip gloss." I whispered. We looked at each other for a while before gloria rolled her eyes.

"Of all the people that you could have sent, you send me to die with this idiota." Gloria began rummaging through her own bag and emerged with a meat cleaver moments later. Getting closer to the body she stabbed the dead body repeatedly until her brain oozed out of its skull. She then dug into her bag for napkins and hand sanitizer. I couldn't contain myself. I spewed Vomit cement floor and the nearby body.

" Geez Loquita, have some respect for the dead." Gloria said, making a cross signal with her hands.

We finally emerged out the alley about 15 minutes later. And I was surprised to see how many vacant vehicles we parked outside the hospital. There were ambulances turned over; passenger cars, police vans, and even school buses were smashed into each other. Remains of metal and human parts were left scattered in the intersection.

"What happened here?" I asked.

I'm sure it looks like this everywhere." Gloria walked to the curb and waited for the traffic light.

"I'm sure you don't have to wait for the walk signal anymore." I said walking pass her and straight for the hospital.

The emergency room was completely shut and boarded up so we had to go around to the front entrance on the Grand concourse. The windows were completely covered with black paint. Gloria and I banged on the front door simultaneously. But no one answered. We waited moments but no one answered. "Maybe we can come in through the garbage entrance or maybe a window or something." I stammered.

"Just have patience." Gloria said. There was a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

As if on cue, the doors to the hospital opened up. A man in a wrinkled police officer uniform opened the door. We stepped inside and looked around. Something was wrong.

I could feel the cold steel from the barrel of a gun press against my head.

"Get down on your knees and don't move."