LXXII

With the announcement of what had happened the previous night and Kouen's decision to wed her, none of the Imperial Ministers and Officials or Generals spoke their opposition for deep down, they had all secretly wished for this to happen. There was no better woman who could stand by his side and there was no better man who could stand by her side. The two were equals in their eyes and the power and wealth that would accompany their Empire by having her enter the Imperial Harem would only bring overwhelming benefits. There was not a person in the Forbidden City who didn't bless their marriage from the bottom of their hearts for though she would be a great asset to the Empire, they could see just how much their Emperor adored her and surely, he would give her a life of everlasting happiness.

But, rather than the Emperor, their attention laid on the Prime Minister who stood there with a solemn smile as Kouen announced his decision. They were aware of the close relationship Lucy had with the Imperial family, especially the two brothers who were sons of the Empress Dowager. They met at a tender age and for ten years, they spent their time together and supported Kouen by his side before and after he ascended the throne. The three of them made the foundation of the current Empire. Even amongst their other siblings, the three's relation was the closest and it was expected that the two would grow to have feelings for her for who wouldn't be enamored by the young, beautiful, and gentle young princess of the Heartfilia Household? She was everything that a man could ever want in both beauty and personality.

He truly was a pitiful man but, Koumei begged to differ. To him, nobody was as important as his brother and for his brother who stood up and protected them all, this was the least he could do to repay the man who shouldered the burden of the throne.

"It is as His Majesty the Emperor wishes," Koumei bowed.

Seeing the Prime Minister bow, the ministers and officials followed suit. "It is as His Majesty the Emperor wishes. May His Majesty live for ten thousand years to come."

Kouen sat there on his throne and his gaze traveled to Koumei who stood there, his head bowed low and a calm expression on his face. In the back of his mind, he wondered just when that timid and shy younger brother of his grew up into one that could keep a poker face. Gripping his armrest, Kouen knitted his brows and closed his eyes in pained anguish.

Forgive me, he said. Koumei.

Lily Palace~

Lucy sat there, sewing a handkerchief with a lily design, her lashes fluttering every now and then as she gazed at the design and made adjustments to each other. She had finished her work for the week and as for all the menial managements, she had left it to Yuushun and Kouyuu.

"Lucy-sama."

Glancing up from her work as the rukh fluttered by around her, she pulled her lips into a soft smile. "Sebas."

The Dragonoid butler who had served her for ten years bowed his head but rather than wearing his butler uniform, he wore his black, eastern martial arts outfit that he had worn before he assumed his butler duty once more. Lucy gave a despondent smile as she gazed upon the man who had raised her alongside the Imperial family.

"So you're really leaving," she said.

"Yes," he said, his turquoise eyes wavering but he had made his decision. "It's been fifteen years since I've known you and ten years since I've been assigned to you as your butler. Every minute of the time I've spent by your side serving you has been like a dream and there would be nothing greater I would wish for than to continue serving you."

Lucy softened her eyes. "However."

"However, I believe I've well-served my purpose. You've already grown into a stunning, beautiful woman who has surpassed Layla-sama in every aspect and even as you've continued walking down this path, you've still remained the bright, pure child you've always had been. As your butler, I, Sebas Tian, could only be proud."