35:

"How's he doing now that his parents are here?" Luna asked.

In a subconscious manner, I turned to look at my bedroom door, as if expecting to see right through it into Carson's room. I turned back to look at Dylan and Luna, sprawled out on my bed lazily, their full attention on me and my answer.

I sighed, "He doesn't really say much about it, but it's obvious they have an estranged relationship. 

Dylan rolled his eyes. "It's always been like that. They've never been a close family. Personally. I've never been the biggest fan of his parents.

"Do you think he's gonna be okay?" Luna asked.

I nodded, "He's learning how to handle his emotions in a more healthy way– therapy and all. Really, I think with everything, he just needs a bit of time to process."

"And how are you?" Dylan asked. 

"It's not really about me."

"No, but you have been Carson's main support system. That has to take a toll."

I shrugged, "I care about him. I'll do whatever he needs."

"Right, so have you told him that yet?" Dylan asked. 

"Told him what, exactly?"

"That you 'care' about him," Luna finished. 

"No, that would be insensitive. What do you want me to say to him? 'Hey, my condolences about your sister. By the way I maybe kind of like you.'?"

"So when are you going to tell him?"

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not sure I will."

"Madeline," Dylan started, in a tone that warned me I was about to get lectured. "If you don't plan on telling him, then you need to stop giving him hope. You need to remove yourself before he gets seriously hurt."

"I know. Now can we please drop it?" I said, fighting back a yawn. 

Dylan and Luna shared a look, but agreed. 

It was like one in the morning after all, and I was getting tired. The least of my current worries was telling Carson about what I felt toward him, not when he already has so much to deal with. 

Part of me felt guilty that we were all in here, talking and laughing and carrying on, while Carson was in the room right next door. As expected, he hasn't really been all that sociable lately, and has put a bit of distance between himself and all of us for the past week. 

Luna and Dylan had quieted down, both beyond tired but too stubborn to actually go to bed. I turned off the bedside lights, hoping to encourage them to settle down and give into their own yawns. 

Dylan was the first one out, snoring the second he decided he put his head to the pillow. I looked over to Luna, her blinks becoming longer and at shorter intervals. She opened her mouth lazily to mumble a "goodnight" in my direction. 

"Goodnight."

*      *   

Inwardly groaning, I climbed out of bed, and tried not to grimace at the ungodly hour that flashed on the clock. I needed out of this room. 

"Maddie? Is that you?" I turned around and saw Dylan looking up from the pillow. I was half-startled, part of me having forgotten that Dylan and Luna were here. 

"Yeah," I whispered back to him. "I'm fine, just need a glass of water. Go back to sleep."

Dylan nodded and closed his eyes again, once again effortlessly falling asleep.