come together

my blades sliced through the ice, as i attempted to defend the puck against the opposing team. there were about nine minutes left in the game and we were up by one.

the puck was passed to jesse, who was doing some pretty complicated stick handling just to keep it.

"come on, right here!" banks yelled from in front of the goal.

he was wide open, but jesse didn't seem to have any interest in giving it away to him.

"up front!" he called out again, skating from left to right to throw of the other team's defense.

i rolled my eyes, annoyed at jesse's attitude towards our newest team member,"jess, come on!"

"pass it to banks!" coach called out from the bench.

"do something with it!" adam yelled at him, hoping jesse would make the right choice.

after a moment of hesitation, he passed it to adam, who promptly made a score.

"yeah! all right!" banks exclaimed as we on the ice skated over to revel with him.

all of us except jesse, who skated to the bench angrily. i wasn't exactly surprised by that fact, seeing as he's the most stubborn person i know. it would take awhile before he warmed up to banks, which kind of sucked, but there was nothing i could do about it.

before i knew it, there were only sixteen seconds left of the game and we were tied 1-1. we all stood in the box, waiting for coach's instructions.

"goldberg, you're gonna sit this one out." he told our goalie, much to everyone's dismay.

we all voiced our discrepancies with the plan, seeing no benefit to pulling the goalie.

"you're pulling the goalie when we're tied?" i asked incredulously, from my stance next to banks.

"listen, listen, listen," coach started, causing all of us to shut our mouths momentarily,"a tie isn't gonna help us, we need the win."

i pursed my lips, wondering if he was going to give us the information we needed to get on the ice,"and you want us to do what, exactly?"

"fulton, you're our extra man," coach answered, looking over at me,"everybody get the puck to fulton, that's your job."

"we're pulling the statue of liberty play?" fulton questioned.

"no, take your shot," bombay told him, causing me to raise my eyebrows in surprise as he continued,"you may only get one, so it's gotta be good."

fulton shook his head, having little to no faith in himself,"but coach, one outta one?"

at his very best, fulton could make the shot every one out of five times. so, there was only about a twenty percent chance that he could break the tie. and i didn't like those odds.

"soft hands, fulton," guy told him, referring to a rule we had learned from coach,"concentration not strength."

i noticed as he winked at connie and i couldn't help but start to freak out. i didn't understand why he had chosen to do that. it made no sense to me, and suddenly, it was all i could think about.

"lacey," banks nudged me, realizing i made no attempt to move onto the ice,"your skates frozen to the ground or what?"

i let out a short huff, glancing at guy and muttering a quick,"or what."

he gave me a confused look, but didn't ask as we got onto the ice.

the puck dropped and banks immediately passed it to fulton.