Chapter 4

As he reached his house, the gates opened. He drove inside with the biggest grin on his face. She sat next to him in the passenger’s seat; she too couldn’t disguise her happiness. Even though she’d promised to keep her heart under lock and key he’d managed to a get a hold of it and she didn’t mind. He stepped out of the car, walked to the other side and held the door for her.

“Thanks. And wow!” she said, completely in awe of her surroundings. She felt like a princess in a castle. “And I thought castles were fictional.” He laughed as they made their way to the front door. It was opened by a maid who stood with a friendly smile.

“Thanks Henrietta.” Jake said politely and Kya smiled back at her. They both walked hand in hand into the reading room. Mrs Cohen wasn’t expecting anyone and was surprised when her son walked in.

“Mum, I’d like you to meet Kya. Kya Brown.” Marc said proudly. The door opened and closed as Henrietta came in with a tray of drinks. She laid it down on the table and stood by it with her hands behind her. Kya noticed her immaculate maid outfit and her manners, this really is a castle. Mrs Cohen got up from her seat, set her reading glasses aside and stood up.

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs Cohen. Your son has told me a lot about you.” Kya said smiling. Mrs Cohen took Kya by both hands and looked into her eyes. For a few seconds Kya felt uneasy but was quickly put at ease when Mrs Cohn hugged her.

“It is my pleasure to finally meet the young woman that has caught the eye of my son.” Mr Cohen said before offering them a seat. Henrietta brought the drinks closer to the couple and poured it into glasses for them before leaving with a curt nod. Marc downed his drink and stood up.

“I’ll leave both of you two to umm, you know, talk.” He said. He gave his mum a kiss on her cheek before giving Kya a quick kiss on the lips and left. His absence took its toll and Kya felt awkward. She’d never been in such a situation before as it’s never really gotten this far with any of her previous relationships. Now she’s sitting in what Marc told her was the ‘reading room’. A room where his mum spent most of her time in, he said it was her sanctity. Before this visit he had briefed her on ‘the basics’, the house and the people. He didn’t say anything about having to strike up a conversation with his mum because right now she felt she had to. Just as she was about to speak, Mrs Cohen spoke.

“I can tell that you are a career woman. So what do you do for a living?” she asked.

“I…well, I model. I’m a model.” Kya said.

“Hmm, a model. What kind things do you model, if you don’t mind me asking?” she asked looking a bit sceptical. Kya smiled.

“I model clothes and I do runway shows. A fashion model some people call it.”

“Well, you would happily get along with Lynette my dear. She’s into those kinds of things. All fashion and shinning lights and shiny things.” She said. “Speaking of shinny things, I noticed you’ve caused quite a stir in the media with my son recently concerning some sort of engagement or something?” Kya laughed.

“I’ve gotta be honest, I’ve never felt that much eyes on me. It’s like there are everywhere. I mean, I get it I’m a model I should be used to flashing lights and cameras but this, this is just crazy.” Kya said shaking her head.

“I know how you feel. It’s like you’ve been thrown into a brand new world.” Mrs Cohen said. “I felt the exact same way when I got myself involved with Colin, Marc’s father. His family was already right in their peak of fame before I joined them when I fell in love with Colin. Trust me when I say that the fame will increase as your relationship becomes deeper. And let me give you this piece of advice Colin’s mother gave me. ‘Be very careful and you don’t let them control you or your emotions.’.” Mrs Cohen said quoting her mother-in-law.