Chapter 25 - Dinner

ERIN

When I spoke to Adam's doctor after his surgery, my blood froze in my veins when he told me how close to dying he was. What started as a mild heart attack would have been fatal if Adam would have gone without treatment for another hour. He spends most of the time at home sleeping and can't do house chores without feeling exhausted after a short time. I'm grateful for Claire's help. She checks on him before heading to the club and does a few chores for him. I spend time with him in the afternoon and make sure he's taking his medication properly. But Adam, being himself, still thinks that he's a superhuman and I always find him behind his laptop, working on his latest plans for the club. 

I understand he's bored and that he thinks he needs to prove himself. Life has been tough on him since we were born. Constant health issues got him hospitalized during the first years of our lives. We were born prematurely and Adam's lungs were not developed sufficiently. He felt isolated, growing up in hospital wards, until we moved to the bed and breakfast in Lonstino. The sea air seemed to help and the company of Sam and Noah made it even better. It made him feel happier, stronger and healthier to be around boys who were always ready to play and understood when Adam needed to take a break. The isolation returned when we went to high school and were not in the same classroom. Adam struggled to make new friends, with his weight, his looks and everything else a teen experiences, and managed in the only way he knew, becoming cynical, a know-it-all and pretending that he was okay. 

College gave him a distraction and a purpose, and until that summer when he got gravely ill, things were fine. He excelled in his studies and the plan he made from the club was better than anything I've seen. And he works himself to the point of exhaustion because he hates the idea that people might think he's weak. No one thinks that of him, but he can't shake it off. Then paired with his control issues and perfectionism it makes him put work above anything else, including himself. He was feeling miserable and I feared that he would stop taking care of himself. I called his doctor and was glad that she has allowed him to go to the club for a few hours and do light desk work. He can't wait.

Sam parks on the street where Matt lives, and Claire parks behind. My brother comes out of her car and smiles at her. I must admit I feel relief every time I look at him and see him alive. Like Rory with Imogen, Claire and Adam are not in an official anything, but there's no doubt they care about each other very much.

Matt has invited all of us to his place for a casual dinner, and to take a break from all the stress of the past weeks. It's been long since we have done anything like this and it feels special to do so with the people in our lives who matter most.

"Welcome everyone!" Matt says after opening the door and greets me with a light kiss.

We leave our jackets in the hallway and as we walk into the living room, I can't believe my eyes. Our parents stand in the middle of his living room.

"Am I getting a hug or what?" Dad asks while opening his arms.

I get lost in my dad's arms and the lovely scent of his cologne. I then hug my mom, who compliments my hair as she sways with me. It feels like a dream to have them here. I have missed them so much.

After we finished college, we decided to stay in Greenwood. My parents found a property for sale at Sea Glass Beach and couldn't resist the new adventure. They are hours away from us, but life has kept us busy here. We call often, but the only time we catch up in person is in January when we all take vacation and close the club for a month.

"You are so brown, Dad!" I caress his handsome face that now has deep-set wrinkles in it. His wild blonde hair and beard make him look like a rogue archeologist.