20. Nate - 6: Let's Bash This Party (CGD)

"Wow," I muttered once I stepped outside of the cab with my cheesecake in hand. The sky was filled with a pure white light as the moon peaked out from the sun. Both of them easily took up half the sky together as if they were just outside the realm of where ever we were. "The moon and the sun shine here?"

Peyton glanced over to see what I was asking about. "Not normally. That just means that the moon and sun gods are here."

"Awesome," I whispered gazing up hypnotically at the sight. Peyton grabbed my arm and pulled me toward the huge rectangular building in front of us. What had she called this place? The Hall of the Gods or something?

She dragged me until we had reached the gigantic front doors; they easily toward over me and her combined. Peyton turned sharply to me and took a deep breath.

"Stick with me or you will get lost.” I nodded mechanically and watched as she pulled opened the double doors in one fluid motion making it look as if they were made of Styrofoam. She hurried inside and I followed along making sure to keep close.

The place was beautifully crafted. It was easily the size of a small town and with a population to match. Classical music drifted in and out from the noise of the conversation in the room. I tried spotting any sort of familiar face but it was next to impossible with so many people present. From the corner of my eye, I could spot Peyton handing off her jacket to a servent and scanning the crowd along with me.

"This is so amazing," I commented.

"Come on," she commanded simply dashing in through the crowd. I desperately made an attempt to keep up with her. Every person in here was dressed in white and was simply a sea of strangers to me.

Peyton led me over to the refreshment table where she grabbed some things for herself. She offered me a glass of wine and offered it me but I dismissed it to gaze out at the crowd. Geez there were so many people! How could such a chaotic event seem so calm and organized? Who knew this many people to invite anyway? Could there possibly be this many gods in Olympus?

“Set the cheesecake over on the table somewhere.”

Glancing down at my creation, I did as I was told and hurriedly set down the cake in the first clear space I could among a tray of veggies and some pigs in a blanket.

"When do I meet people?" I asked hopefully.

Peyton moved off to the side with a glass in each hand and I quickly followed after her while still glancing about. There was no way that all these people could fit into this place. Sure it was huge but there was easily ten times the amount of people that should safely fit inside of here.

"No one in here looks older than 35," I observed after she ignored my first question.

She gave me a long nod. "They're all immortal."

Peyton finished off one of the glasses in her hand then set it down to the ground. She seemed so casual with it all as if this was a usual thing. Surely she wasn’t one of those boring party goers? It didn’t seem to be her type. And with a face as pretty as hers, people should’ve flocked over as soon as she stepped foot in the room. Yet, here we both were: alone.

I grew a bit restless at the thought. "I want to meet people not stand here."

She seemed amused by my actions. “Just wait,” she assured simply.

About two minutes later, a tall man pushed his way through the crowd and came over to Peyton full of smiles.

Without even a hello, he bitterly pointed in my direction and said, “Who’s this?”