Melanin dripping first encounter (2)

Kapinga

Aunt Martha pulled us back into her house and made us a hefty breakfast the following morning. Last night, she told me that I had passed out from hunger which made sense as I had not eaten for the past two days, and the walking didn't help at all. She also proceeded to tell me that she was worried sick all day as she was working at the gate room so that she could open for us and didn't see us arrive. Luckily for us we made it at the gate just after she left, and Sam opened up for us because she told him she was expecting us today. After breakfast, Aunt Martha left to go work. Apparently, she works at the palace. She was the head maid so she had to be there before the royals woke up and prepare everything. I spent the rest of the morning cleaning up the house as Mica went back to sleep.

Suddenly, this wave of sadness enveloped me as I was flooded with thoughts of my mother. It was selfish of me to wish that she was still alive being tortured but I needed her still. This was my first time being away from her. I hadn't even realised that I was crying until my brother eagerly asked me, "Hey sis can we go explore the place today?" I quickly wiped my tears, put on a smile and faced my brother, "Yes of course we can go out. But we need to bath first."

I got dressed in my yellow poker dotted dress that stopped just below my knees. It was rather large for me so the v-neck hanged very low on my body exposing a bit too much cleavage. Thus, I wore a black T-shirt underneath the dress. As I looked at myself in the mirror I realised that this was my only other outfit (besides the clothes I had on yesterday) and it wasn't even mine, but my mother's dress. So, I decided that I was actually going to look for work as we explored this place today.

As soon as my brother and I headed out we were met by sun's glorious rays. Luckily for us, our melanin skin hardly got sun burned. Besides, we were used to way hotter climates. We walked down the same road I ran looking for Mukendi yesterday and it was oddly quiet making me feel a bit unsafe. Then a little girl around Mukendi's age came running past and I managed to stop her and ask, "Hey there, are the streets always this quiet?" She simply told us to follow her and started running again. I didn't like this idea, but I also knew nothing of this land so, I decided it was best to follow her. Thus, I grabbed Mukendi's hand and followed the girl.

I initially heard the clatter of people before I saw the large crowd. The girl disappeared within the crowd before I could ask her what was going on. I crouched and put Mukendi on my back and then proceeded to go within the crowd. Through eavesdropping, I had managed to find out that whatever was happening upfront was pretty exciting. I walked for quite some time and still was not anywhere near the front. I wasn't tall so, I had to keep pushing through if I wanted to see anything.

After what felt like a lifetime, I finally got to a spot close to the front where I could see. And to say I was confused would be an understatement as there were just soldiers holding the crowd back. I was about to turn back with my brother when the gates opened. I only then realised that we were back to the place where I had fainted yesterday. I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realise that the Prince had come and greeted the people and left. I was so annoyed because I didn't even get to see his face and I had walked all the way to the front for nothing.

Finally, after hours of walking and trying to familiarise ourselves with the place, but in all actuality were lost and couldn't find the road we lived in, my brother and I made it safely home just before dark. I was starving and tired. Aunt Martha was beyond relived when we returned. She thought that we had been kidnapped. After having dinner she finally asked us where we were. "I was job hunting and I took Mukendi with because we wanted to get familiar with the place," I replied. She didn't quite believe me but nonetheless nodded her head. "Well, if you looking for a job why don't you come work in the place with me. I am the head staff so I can hire you as a maid for the royal house if you would like," she replied. She asked the question as through she was testing to see if I was lying so, she was surprised with my excited response, "When do I start, how much do I get paid and what exactly am I expected to do?" She smiled at me and simply said, "Tomorrow be ready by 5am."

XXXXXXX

AN

So, what are your thoughts of Kapinga so far? Let me know in the comment section

Please vote

XXX