18 - Day 25/nighttime (unedited 9/2/20)

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Consider sharing this book on social media and with others who may enjoy it and help get Breaking Eden noticed by Wattpad. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

8 – Day 25/nighttime

Eden was bored. Actually, she was more than bored. She was dead, at least emotionally and mentally. Physically her body lived on with the pain of her actions. She laid in the darkness, with nothing but her thoughts to keep her company.

She had abandoned her hunger strike and all the modestly left in her. In her mind she was nothing more than a filthy street dog that no one wanted. When the doors opened during their routine tray deliveries, she stopped caring. All she'd do was pushed out the old tray and grab the new one that was slid inside.

No one spoke. No letters were offered. Everything was carried out in utter silence. The red light that once lit up the entire room felt more like a figment of her imagination now than real.

There was nothing left to do other than lay on her back and stare up into the darkness.

The sound of metal scraping against metal echoed in the space. Eden remained motionless. She no longer cared who came and went.

The slots door lifted, but a tray wasn't offered. There was motion on the other side, then a voice.

"Are you awake?" Ben asked, his voice barely a whisper.

Eden flipped to her belly and crawled the short distance to the slot, "Ben?"

She reached for his hand from under the slot, but he beat her to it. His fingers laid over hers and from the little slot she could see the whites of her smile.

"You came back."

"My apologies, it's be hell trying to find a way to get to you unnoticed."

The two fell into an awkward silence.

"About your brother." Ben started but Eden interrupted him.

"Please don't. I can't talk about him anymore." Her voice cracked, "Tell me about your dream instead. The one with the stars."

"It was beautiful." Ben was quick to change the topic. "I've never had such a vivid dream."

Eden listened to him replay the dream, smiling as she tried to picture it.

"I must take you to the gardens when you're free. It's such a beautiful place. Jude also loves it there. You'll join us on our nightly walks, yes?"

"I'd love to." A surge of normalcy rushed through her. It was only a walk. "How's Jude?"

Ben laughed softly.

"Why are you laughing?"

"You're growing fond to us, Eden." His fingers tighten, around hers. "Jude's been asking about you. She wishes to see you soon."

"I think I'm ready."

"What do you mean by ready?"

"I won't survive much longer fighting like this. I'm tired, Ben."

"Submit your will and everything will change."

"I will."

A black shoed foot landed on the back of ben's neck, pinning him to the floor.

"That's enough." Declan spoke. "Eden's disobedience is affecting you, of all people."

"Leave him alone. He didn't do anything!" Eden screamed.

Declan pounded against the door and his fist. "You've made a grave mistake dragging young Benjamin down with you."

Ben gasped for air as Declan applied more pressure.

"Stop it. He can't breathe!" Eden cried. "Get off of him!"

Declan remined there for a second longer and eased up on Ben's neck, before stepping off. "Get up."

Ben sucked in a deep breath, coughing as he tried to breath.

Eden did her best to peak under the door, but Ben remained still, staring blankly at her.

"I said get up!" Declan's voice echoed in the room and his foot caught Ben in his side.

Ben rolled to his side, clutching his middle, as a hand appears out of nowhere and griped his hair to force him to his feet.

Eden pounded harder against the door, was going mad inside her closet sized Hell, as she screams for Declan to stop.

The slot slammed shut without another word from him and all Eden could do was scream.

"No!" she belted out and for all she knew they already left.

What have I done? Eden thought as she threw her body into the door, hoping that with enough force she'd break through it.

She didn't spot until she was breathless and numb. Dropping to the floor she gave up.

"Don't hurt him." She said into the darkness. "It's my fault."

[later add more to this part. Maybe add the red light coming back on and over the speaker she can hear Declan punishing ben. Readers what do you think?]

Words: 893

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.