Chapter 4: Did you just call me sweetheart?

Picture of Josh Hutcherson as Zach Tanner

•*•*•*•*•

A Tomboy Living With Boys

Chapter 4: Did you just call me sweetheart?

I wait in the car park for Jake following his instructions tapping my foot impatiently.

"How are you so cute?" a deep low voice rumbles behind me.

I flick my face around to find an amused Jake. "Cute? Excuse my sprinkles but how an earth am I cute!" I stare at him in disbelief, I am anything but cute.

He rolls his eyes at my remark.

"Yeah keep on rolling your eyes, you may find a brain back there." I turn back and charge towards his car. I can hear his footsteps starting to follow.

About three quarters into the drive back to the house, the trip is completely silent besides from the low music playing on the radio. I lean back into the car seat- I had no idea how tense I was. I slowly close my eyes blocking out everything.

The beautiful silence broke. 

"How do you like school?"

"I would prefer it if there was a certain boy not going to it." I keep my eyes closed signalling I do not want to talk to anyone at the moment, especially Jake.

Jake is oblivious to that though. "Yeah, I know, Spence' can be a bit of a pain in the rear end sometimes." he nods as if in agreement.

"Yeah, sorry to break it to you sweetheart but wrong boy." I mutter quietly enough that I'm not sure if he could hear me.

"Did you just call me sweetheart?" His face slides into a smirk. Cakes, that boy has spiderman hearing.

Or it may be my loud muttering...

"You wish." I grumble.

He parks in front of the mansion and I take my chance to jump out of the car and run into the house.

As I make my way to the living room which Mary spots me.

"Sam, honey, how did the first day of school go, I hope Jake made you feel welcome." she sweetly smiles at me. "Come on, let's go get you an afternoon snack," an afternoon snack? Thats what they call it? Who cares, I'm starving yet again.

~~~

I lie on my bed after my little 'afternoon snack'. After being satisfied with letting the food in my tummy enough time to digest, I decide I need to get out- it least get some exercise I haven't been able to do for the past couple of days.

I put on an over sized large t-shirt which used to be one of my good old pals before I left and some baggy ripped jeans I found in this op shop sort of place. Don't get me wrong, I have enough money to buy expensive clothes and all, but who gives about clothing? All I pay it on is food, drink and running shoes. The rest of the money goes towards my college fees. You think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself?

I think not. If I don't pay for a majority of my college, my father will need to pay and he would choose what college I go to.

I quickly slip on my black nike frees and grab my skateboard. I put a snapback my on my head facing backwards, I mean, I've always been such a big supporter of being sun smart.

Skateboarding is totally exercise.

I run down the stairs finally getting the hang of this place. At the final stair I trip over my own foot and face plant into the hard plank wood floor. Seriously! It couldn't be carpet of some sort?