NINE

CHAPTER NINE
' I'LL DRIVE YOUR HEAD
THROUGH THAT
FUCKING WALL . '

Eddie and Five approached the Meritech Prosthetics building but stopped before entering it. She glanced at her brother and tucked her hands into her pockets, following a sigh. "When we get in, let me do the talking. If your temper is half what it was when we're kids, we're going to be in for some trouble. Don't let him get under your skin and ignore him, alright?"

"Temper? I don't have a temper," he protested.

"Your body has tensed up, you're clenching your fists, and your voice just got tighter. Tell me again that you don't have a temper," Eddie challenged, gaze still ahead as she stared at the building.

Five only huffed in reply and shoved his hands into his pockets, which led to a victorious smile on his sister's face. She set off, letting him trail after her, brewing silently.

Jogging up the rest of the stairs, Eddie stopped at the door. Her eyes stared at the 'pull' sign and then at the handle silently. Five stopped beside her with furrowed eyebrows before he acknowledged the problem and moved to open the door for her. She didn't look at him as she darted through it, gaze flickering over the room and posters lining the walls. It lingered on a nurse helping someone leave before running her tongue over her teeth as Five reached her side.

"Uh... can I help you?" A voice sounded, and Five glanced over his shoulder, going to approach the man before Eddie spoke.

"Mr Bigg." Her voice was quiet but sharp, and she turned to face him.

"Doctor Hargreeves," he replied in an equal tone. "Have you booked an appointment? You know I can't-"

"-Save it." She approached him. "Do you remember the terms of our little agreement? Of course, you do. It's your reputation on the line. I'm sure you can fit us in. My brother only has a few questions."

"Your brother-? I mean, yes. Okay," he glanced at his receptionist. "I guess I can fit you in quickly."

"I need to know who this belongs to," Five began, wasting no time in pleasantries. The doctor's eyes finally left Eddie (who hadn't even looked in his direction in their entire conversation) and flickered to Five as he lifted the prosthetic eye.

"Where did you get this?" he asked, his voice almost scolding.

Eddie side-eyed Five, the movement an act to remind him of their previous conversation.

"Why do you-?" He took a breath to compose himself. "I found it. In the playground, actually. Must have just..." He clicked his tongue. "Popped out, and I want to return it to its rightful owner."

"Oh... what a thoughtful child," the receptionist sighed, and Eddie's eyes flickered to her and then back to Five with a sigh.

"Yeah, look up the name for me, will ya?" Five shot the woman behind the counter a sarcastic smile.

Bigg seemed taken back by his forward confidence. "Uh, I'm sorry, but patients' records are strictly confidential. That means I can't-"

"-You don't need to explain it," Eddie replied smoothly.

"But you know what I can do? I will take that eye off your hands and return it to the owner." He nodded. "I'm sure he or she will be very grateful. So if I could just..." The doctor went to take the eye, but Five pulled his hand away quickly.

"Yeah, you're not having this eye."

The doctor straightened, eyes flickering momentarily to Eddie as if expecting her to discipline her brother.

With a long sigh, she replied, "He's keeping the eye."

Mr Bigg's eyes suddenly hardened. "Now, you listen here, young lady-"

Five wrapped his hand around his collar and pulled him so they were at eye level. "You listen to me," he seethed. "I've come a long way for this, through some shit your pea-brain couldn't even comprehend. So just give me the information I need, and we'll be on our merry way." He then inhaled sharply, glare still hot.

"And if you call me 'young lady' one more time, I'll drive your head through that fucking wall," Eddie added, eyes hardening to hold a look similar to Five's.

"Oh, dear..." the secretary managed out.

"Call security."

"Five," Eddie spoke, and he begrudgingly released his hold on the man. "I don't think that will be necessary." Slowly, she approached him, her brother moving out of her way as he pocketed the eye. "Oh, Grant," she sighed out. "We both know I'm very good at keeping secrets. How about you return the favour, hm?"