Chapter 21: Teresa's POV

A/N: Sorry it's taken me so long to update! I was in the hospital for a few days and I had a ton of schoolwork to make up. I'm so sorry I've been slacking! I'll try and get better at updating regularly!

~*~

I told him to kiss me and he did. No questions, he just leaned down and kissed me. I must be losing my mind. My brother doesn't remember who I am and one of my other two brothers is missing, while I'm busy making out with my consultant in a safe house! I had to get my mind off of him so I plugged my earbuds back in and continued cooking, instructing him to set the table. This was getting out of control. I was really losing it and all I could do was smile! Damned mentalist!

As I continued to mash potatoes, my music calmed me down. Or maybe it was beating something to a pulp, I'm not quite sure. I threw some pork chops in the now-heated oven and put green beans on the stove. Jane walked by and stuck his finger in the mashed potatoes before nodding in approval and walking off down the hallway. It was weird how domestic we had become, especially given our current predicament.

~*~*~

"Dinner's ready!" I called nearly half an hour later.

Annie was immediatley at the table, followed by Patrick a few minutes later. He had showered and changed into flannel pajama pants and a tight grey t-shirt, his hair sticking up in disheveled, musty curls. He looked irresistible, especially after that heated kiss.

"Dinner is served." I say dramatically, beaming with pride, I can't remember the last time I cooked something from scratch.

"Thanks dear." Jane smiles and places a kiss to my cheek as he walks by, causing me to blush and Annie to roll her eyes. Damn him.

"Thanks... Mom." Annie says with a shy smile as she spoons green beans onto her plate. It was weird to be called Mom. I never even considered it a possibility between my job and lack of dates.

"No problem." I smile and we all sit together, eating and talking quietly about random things, like the color of the bedrooms. I found myself enjoying the domesticity of the situation, although it was still so new.

~*~*~

After dinner I left Jane and Annie in the living room and went to take a shower. The bedroom Patrick and I were sharing was absolutely stunning, painted a purple that reminded me of my childhood. One wall was completely made of mirrors, I'm sure Jane would have a comment about the owners being 'narcissistic and self-absorbed', which I couldn't help but agree with. The bathroom was yet another stunning sight, equipped with both a claw foot tub and a shower. I decided after the stress of the past few weeks I deserved a bubble bath. I filled up the tub and cautiously stepped inside before slumping down beneath the bubbles. The hot water relaxed my tense muscles as it turned my skin a bright red. I closed my eyes and let out an exasperated sigh when I heard a knock on the bathroom door. You have got to be kidding me.

"Cara."

"I'm in the bath Jane what do you want?"

"I want to talk to you. we need to talk."

"I'm in the bath." I say again, more emphasized this time, when I hear the door click open. Jane smiles at me and places two of my hair pins on the vanity. Shit.

"Jane get out!" I exclaim as he walks towards the tub, "I'm," I lowered my voice, feeling awkward, "I'm naked."

"Well I'd assume so," Jane quipped, "It's unusual to bathe with one's clothes on."

"Oh hush!" I yell and throw a handful of bubbles in his direction, "What did you want?"

"I uhm... just wanted to apologize." He says, walking over and leaning against the tub. I feel myself tense up. I'm naked and Jane's acting all casual. There's no escaping now.

"It's okay."

"If you don't want this or it's not the right time or anything like that, it's okay. I was stupid to think you'd want anything to do with me at all, let alone right now."

"It's not that." I answer, slinking lower into the tub until my neck is no longer visible, "This is just a difficult time for me. For us. It's terrifying. For the first time in a long time, I'm scared Jane. I'm so afraid of making a wrong move and getting someone killed."

"I've been down this road." He sighs, running a hand through his hair, "Whatever happens from here on out is not your fault. None of it. You didn't provoke Him, you didn't insult Him, it's my fault, not yours."

I shoot him a questioning look as his eyes begin to fill with water, "It's not your fault either."

"Yes it is." His voice breaks, "I insulted him so he killed my family. I came to work at the CBI. I made you a part of my FBI deal. I got close to you and started to feel things and now I'm the reason he's doing this to you. It is my fault Teresa. I'm so very sorry."

"It's alright Patrick. Everything's going to be okay." He hands me a towel and leaves the room, talking to me from the other side of the door.

"Do you... Do you hate me for this?"

"No. I don't. I could never hate you."
I reply, donning a pair of sweatpants, "It doesn't matter what you think, I don't blame you."

"Well I blame me." He whimpers and I hear him place his palm against the door. I throw on a t-shirt and ruffle my hair a bit.

"It's not a good situation Patrick. I acknowledge it, but I can't change it. Neither can you. Please don't blame yourself for this." I cautiously turn the doorknob and I hear Patrick back away from the door.

The next thing I know, Patrick is holding me in his arms and squeezing me tightly.

"Thank you. Thank you Teresa. Thank you so much. You're an amazing friend. I love you so much."

He presses his lips against my forehead and I hug him back, my hands resting just below his shoulder blades. It hurt me to see him so distraught, and he said he loved me. So much.

Truthfully, I'm conflicted. I think I love Patrick, but I don't know if I can trust him not to change his mind. I would be devastated if I woke up one morning and he was just gone. He needed me now, and whether or not I admitted it, I need him too.

"I love you too Patrick." I reply and place a kiss to his chin, "Come on, we need some sleep."

We crawl into bed and he wraps his arms around my waist and I place mine around his neck.

"Goodnight Jane." I smile and place a gentle kiss to his soft lips, "You are safe, you are loved, and you are wise."

"I know." He replies, pulling me closer to him and kissing me more passionately, "Goodnight love. Sweet dreams."

"As long as you're with me." I say without even thinking. It was something nice for us to both fall asleep to, and so we did.