S1-1 | To Save Him

***IMPORTANT*** If you are reading Scarlet Legacy in a site other than wattpad, its a pirated(mirrored) copy. Your device is likely prone to malware and viruses. Head back to wattpad, a free, safe and legitimate site to enjoy reading.

I. To Save Him

My boots squeaked each step down the cobalt stone pathway out the Collin's residence. It took an hour longer to tuck Jonah to bed and helped him sleep until Mr and Mrs Collins arrived from work. I looked down at the wad of bills in my hand before sliding it deep in the back pocket of my skinny jeans. As a baby sitter, my pay grade was above normal. Not that I complain, but nowadays, people aren't exactly generous enough not to expect something in return.

The night sky looked unforgivingly bleak and dark as I step out from the gate. The light sprinkling of rain and the cool evening breeze made me shiver as I briskly walked down the dimly lit street. I quickly pulled the ends of my leather jacket closer and wrapped my arms around myself to keep warm. As I turned right to Elmsworth Street, the light pitter-patter of the rain turned to a heavy downpour. I quickly rummage inside my sling bag for my umbrella but aside from a pink notebook, burger wrappers, pieces of papers and Jonah's crayons, there was no sign of it in my bag.

It was the least of my concern when I realize something else was missing in my bag - Mom's meds!. I looked up the sky and welcome the droplets of rain. "Really? You're kidding me right?" I said in mock annoyance and marched back to my employer's house. By the time I arrived, I was dripping wet. My yellow blouse clung tightly to my skin and I was sure my hot pink bra underneath was showing. My hair was plastered in my face and neck and I could feel some water inside my boots.

I worried my lower lip, debating against using the doorbell or to use my set of keys instead. Mrs. Collins was kind enough to give me duplicate keys. In the end, I decided I didn't want to disturb them so I slid in the key and turned the knob.

Everything was the way it was before I left. The light was left on in the hallway leading to the second floor and the house was silent as a mouse. I tried to keep the noise down as I entered but the squeak of my boots deliberately made it hard to remain in stealth mode. I was also faintly aware I was leaving puddles of water each step and I needed to clean that up before I go. I made it to the kitchen in record time, grabbed my Mom's meds which was laying on the marble countertop and tucked it safely in my bag. I was ready to head out and be drenched in the rain again when I heard a distant scream.

It was faint that I had to stop and listen to hear it the second time but there was only the deafening silence and the amplified sound of the raging rain outside. I knew I should just leave the house, head straight to my apartment and indulge myself in a hot shower but a curious and inexplicable uneasiness beguile me to look. I found myself starting up the stairs where I was sure the sound came from. The Collins is the only house in this part of Elmsworth Street. In the back of my mind, I was sure I have watched countless of scenes like these in horror movies where some psycho murderer decided to do a killing spree just to satisfy his twisted thinking. Even though I know how ludicrous it was to sneak in a house in the middle of the night, I couldn't seem to stop. That's probably what got those actors killed and what could get me killed too.

A low growl made me stop at the top of the stairs. The whole house was plunged in pitch black as the power went down. My fingers dug in my leather jacket and I waited in bated breath to what would happen next. The Collins didn't own a dog, or do they? I should have known if there was.

The master bedroom was on my right and I tiptoed to it, glad that my boots didn't squeak. What if I'm thinking the worst here and they were just roleplaying Red Riding Hood?. I suddenly straightened and blink, forcing those lurid thoughts out of my mind.