24

"Bye Angel

"Bye Angel." I wave to Lexi as she goes to wait in line to speak to our Physics professor after class. She waves back before rifling through her organized notes. Checking my phone, I meet the guys at the field for an unofficial practice for anyone who can make it.

Walking to my truck, I climb in and drive closer to the field for convenience. I use my hands to whistle loudly and gain the attention of the players who showed up early, they run over to help out with the equipment as I walk towards the storage shed. The official stadium is only to be used for official practices so we are outside today in the sun.

My team helps me set up quickly and we spread out to warm-up. I blow the whistle and run alongside them, challenging them to overcome me. It is common knowledge that I am not the fastest, or even the highest-scorer, but I wam by far the most disciplined player and an easy leader. Hard work paid off in my case.

Looking around at my team, I am glad to not be the only one sweating buckets in the scorching heat. September is quickly approaching, but the only season Greenville is familiar with is Summer. A breeze coming off of the ocean rolls over us and I can hear audible sighs.

"Get some water." I command to everyone, rifling through my bag to get my own. As I strip my shirt off, I notice a few others following suit. A laugh escapes me as I witness a girl stop to watch the display and her friend behind her runs directly into her back as she does the same.

Putting the whistle to my mouth, it blows and everyone's attention snaps back to me. "Give me a half-hour and you can all go." I tell them and lead everyone in a new formation, wanting to at least have a few people familiar with it before next practice.

By the time I call it quits, everyone else is beat as well. I desperately want to jump in the pool. Tucking my shirt into my shorts, we work together to gather the equipment and then I'm walking back to my truck. The drive is short but I put all the windows down anyway, feeling uncomfortable on the leather seats with my sweat-covered skin.

"Thank god." I groan as I park and I don't even bother grabbing my bag, simply turning off the engine and rounding the house to the backyard. Shrieking and yelling is all I can hear and I'm slightly surprised when I turn the corner. Lexi and Faye are playing in the pool with most of the guys that "couldn't" make it to the practice.

"Chase! Chase, come on!" Faye shrieks when Lexi splashes her. Glaring at my teammates, I smile at the girls and jump into the pool in my soccer shorts. The water cools my skin and I brush my hair off of my face when I surface. Catching Lexi's eyes on me, I wink at her and swim over.

"I don't remember you two moving in..." I tease and Lexi rolls her eyes.

"You didn't say we couldn't, and everyone else encouraged us to. In fact, one of them offered to give me a key. Doesn't feel nice, does it?" She sasses and I shake my head.

"I'll give you my own key, Angel. You're always welcome here." I say, meaning it. She looks slightly taken aback and then she splashes me. As soon as I wipe the water from my face, I can see the massive grin on hers and I lunge for her with my arms outstretched. Screeching, Lexi attempts to swim away from me but I'm faster and I wrap my hands around her waist.

"Chase! What are you—Ah!" I pick her up and throw her as far as I can, catching a glimpse of the baby blue bikini she's wearing. I can see and hear Faye laughing uncontrollably at the sight and Lexi surfaces with dark brown hair all over her face. She dunks her head again to push it back and points at me with a mock glare.

"You'll regret that."

"I sincerely doubt it!" I tease and swim away as she starts after me. Climbing out of the pool before she surfaces, I run to the bin behind the chairs and watch as she looks around, confused. Arming myself with water guns, I throw one to Lexi and fill up my own, amused by the mischievous glint in her eyes.

Pretty soon, everyone has joined in because you can't live in a house full of immature guys without an arsenal of toy weapons. "Hey, where do you keep the towels?" Faye asks and I put the gun down, showing her the cupboard just inside the door to the house. Passing her a red towel, she smiles gratefully at me and stands beneath the awning with me. I can already feel my skin tightening from the sun and am certain that I'll be red tomorrow.

"Just wait, you get burnt? I get burnt and covered in freckles that don't go away." She laughs. I shrug.

"Doesn't sound so bad. I can't imagine you without them." I try to compliment. Faye puts a hand to her cheek and pouts up at me.

"Thank you." She says and pats my arm before she goes into the house. Lexi runs up to me yelling "No more!" as she gets relentlessly pelted with water balloons. I can't help but laugh until she stands behind me.

"Towel!" I say to no avail as the firing squad let's loose, pelting me and my towel. Lexi stands behind me, laughing and gripping onto the back of my towel and I turn around to face her.

The balloons stop, probably running out after feeling what was probably twenty of them breaking against my skin. My towel is soaked so I grab two more and wrap one around Lexi's shoulders, taking the other for myself.

"Thanks." She smiles up at me and I try not to smile. Without meaning to, my hand reaches up to brush her messy, tangled hair behind her ears and she leans into my hand until a voice speaks up.

"This is why I don't go to class." Maddox says and pushes Reece into the pool.