19. INTO THE MAW

The golden glow of the setting sun had found its way through the office blinds when the clock finally decided to drag its sluggish hands past six.

Laura leaped from her chair, hauling her bag and coat with her to Charlie's desk. He glanced up at her bemusedly, his hands still busy putting his computer to sleep for the day.

"Someone's in a tizzy about coming to my place," he teased.

"Shut up," she bit back. "You know I'm nervous for Celene."

Chuckling, he picked up his briefcase and whisked his keys into his palm. He'd rolled his white sleeves above his elbows, revealing the strangely tantalising lines of his forearms that tensed with every movement. A tiny part of Laura's heart mourned the lost opportunity to ride with him; she had driven her own car today, which robbed her of time she could spend teasing the daylights out of the man that couldn't be hers.

No matter. The long night ahead of them could make up for missed chances.

As they pulled out onto the streets, they ran smack into an unforgiving jam. Sighing, Laura stared dead ahead at Charlie's car boot and chewed the inside of her cheek with anxious abandon.

Celene had convinced them that Jack was unlikely to return to the Flaco office after six. That would be the best time for her to sneak in under the pretense of "a professional affair", while Laura and Charlie would guide her through the phone from his apartment.

But, what if Jack decided to come back? What if that cold secretary with his judgemental eyes called out their shit? Or – god forbid – what if Flaco was so paranoid about their blood business that they had cameras everywhere and streamed the live security feed to everyone in the company?

Laura tapped her fingers nervously against the wheel. Five full minutes in the traffic and they'd barely moved. What if they couldn't even reach Charlie's place before Flaco closed for the day?

Her phone buzzed from her bag in the passenger seat, and she pulled it out.

Charlie Spectre.

She hit the speaker button.

"Stop worrying so much, Laura. My god, I can hear your paranoid freakout from my car."

She sighed. "I can't help it. This traffic is doing a number on my nerves."

"Whoever approved your driver's license should have their brain probed." Charlie paused as the cars finally lurched forward and they ejected from the chokehold of traffic. He switched his blinker on. "Turn right ahead. We'll take the longer route, but it'll be a smoother drive."

Half the sun had dipped below the horizon when they finally rounded to a quiet neighbourhood of classy condominiums. Against the darkening navy sky, one slim apartment building towered with imposing sophistication, its lights winking down at the street from behind a flawless glass facade.

Laura tailed Charlie's car past the guardhouse and into the basement, where a herd of exotic European cars rested for the day. She pulled her Audi into park beside a vintage white Beetle and exited the warmth of her vehicle. Clicking her locks shut, she admired the unabashed class of the extinct model beside her.

"Your dream ride?" Charlie's voice echoed past the pillars as he strolled across the lots towards Laura.

"Not exactly. I've always been more of a Mini Cooper girl," she said, following his nod towards the lifts.

"Are you now?" he returned, his tone rife with cynicism. "Glitzy Audi driver like yourself?"

They entered the lift and the doors shut them within the sleek, black box. Charlie slid his phone over a panel in the wall, and the lift began its swift ascent. Laura realised that, other than two for the Lobby and the Rooftop, there were no other buttons.