Chapter Thirteen

Tobias POV
I wake up on Christmas Eve day with Tris in my arms. She's still asleep and at first I'm happy, excited for Christmas with Tris, but then I realize it's also the day Marcus gets back. I squeeze my eyes shut and tense my arms around Tris. I open my eyes and relax. Marcus doesn't know where we are. I say to myself, he won't find us now. "Christmas tomorrow!" I hear Tris's voice and look at her, her blue-grey eyes looking back at me.
I smile at her, "Yeah, Christmas tomorrow. That means we have to get some stuff for the party and re-arrange the living room." I say to her, smirking. "It also means that today is Christmas Eve day!" she says and jumps out of bed, rushing to get ready. I go get some breakfast when I hear Tris turn the shower on. I make coffee and cereal. I turn the lights on, on the Christmas tree and eat my breakfast. I hear Tris turn the hairdryer on and ten minutes later she comes out of the bathroom, looking very Christmassy. She is wearing a green tank top with a red fluffy long sleeved crop top and white skinny jeans. She comes skipping out of the bathroom and into the living room singing a Christmas song. She would be good at karaoke, even if she's shy. Lauren could be a professional singer if she wanted, she has an amazing voice.
I get ready for the day ahead, and come back to the living room to help Tris.
I start moving the couch up against the wall to create more space to use as a dance floor. I put the coffee table beside the couch against the wall. Tris seems to be working on a shopping list of groceries. I walk into the storage closet in the bedroom and take out the mini fold-out stage Zeke bought one year. He thought there should be a stage for his karaoke but then said I had to keep it in my apartment (which he uses as his apartment half the time). By the time I have to the stage set up, Tris has her shoes on and is practically walking out the door to get the party stuff. I grab my wallet and keys and head out the door following Tris to the old Candor sector. Tris half pushes half rides the cart as I walk next to her grabbing stuff and putting it in the cart. We get extra milk and eggnog, fruit punch and champagne. We get some chips and Christmas themed cookies and head back home. We walk down Wabash Avenue and that's when I see him. Marcus stands at the edge of building talking to someone. I press myself against the side of the building and pull Tris with me. Tris looks at me in confusion so I point at Marcus. Her eyes widen and she walks quietly ahead of me. Marcus didn't seem to notice us, he was too busy talking to that person. But he's back, he's officially back. Tris and I get to the end of Wabash Avenue and run the rest of the way home. "He didn't see us." Tris says, breathing a sigh of relief once we are inside. "Not this time."  I say, half to myself. By the time we finish putting everything away, it's lunchtime. We still have to go remind everyone about the party tomorrow, so we don't have much time for lunch. We make quick sandwiches and we head back out to go up to Zeke and Shauna's place. We get to the sixth floor and Tris knocks on their door. Shauna answers wearing an apron that says 'Don't get your tinsel in a tangle' and a classic Christmas hat, red with a white bottom and a white ball on the end. "Hey guys! Getting ready for tomorrow?" She asks, smiling at us. I can hear the song 'jingle bells' playing in the background. "Yeah! Remember one o clock!" I say. "You got it!" She says, closing the door. We take off down the stairs to Christina's place.
"Chris! Open up!" Tris yells as she knocks on the door. Christina comes to the door holding a whisk covered in some kind of batter. "Tris!" She squeals. God that girl cannot be quiet! "Remember our place one o clock!" Tris says as she hugs Christina. Everyone seems to be listening to the Christmas songs. I can hear 'jingle bell rock' coming from her kitchen. "Of Course! Couldn't forget!" Christina says flashing us her big white smile. "Bye Chris!" We say as she shuts the door. Next stop is Caleb's house.
Tris rings the doorbell and Cara answers the door. "Hi guys! What's up?" She asks us. "Remember the party tomorrow, one o clock!" I say, pulling Tris along. "Bye Cara!" She says, before coming with me to Lauren's.
We get to Lauren's apartment and I knock on the door. "Lauren! Party tomorrow one o clock!" I yell through the door. Lauren opens the door. "Yeah, yeah I kno-" She stops when she sees Tris. "Oh hey Tris! How's it going?" She asks. "Great! Thanks Lauren! Remember to be at our place at one tomorrow!" Tris says, smiling at Lauren. "Sure thing sweetheart!" Lauren says winking at her. We wave bye and head to my mother's house.
We get to my mother's door and knock. She answers the door. "Hi mum. Remember the party tomorrow at one!" I say.
"Oh sure thing!" She says cheerily. "Hey, have you seen Marcus?" She asks us, suddenly turning very solemn. "Yeah. We saw him this morning. He didn't see us though." Tris answers for me.
"Okay. Well, I'll see you tomorrow!" She says, looking around before closing the door. We walk back to our apartment and see Marcus talking to a lady just a couple blocks away from our apartment. I stop and hold my arm out to stop Tris from walking into their sight. I see Marcus take something from the lady, and then he shifts slightly, exposing the lady's face. I recognize her. She is Drea. The guard that let me take Caleb out of his jail cell during the war. I take a breath in as Drea catches my gaze. For some reason, I don't look away, or shrink back into the building. I hold her gaze while she listens to Marcus. She says something to him and nods ever so slightly at me. Marcus doesn't notice, he just pushes past her and continues heading away from us. Drea holds my gaze a moment longer before turning and walking down an alley. I turn around to look at Tris. Her eyes are wide, but not with fear. With something I've never seen before and don't know how to describe. I grasp her hand and pull her along with me as we make our way back to our apartment. When we get there. I unlock the door and put the bags inside, not letting Tris in. Instead, I turn around and go back outside.
"Tobias, where are we going?" She asks me. "You'll see." I say as I lace my fingers with hers.