twenty second chapter

"you know what dude, you should go for it," ben said, breaking the silence in the heffley basement.

rodrick turned around to face his best friend, his face scrunched up in confusion. they had just finished rehearsals and ben had been in some type of dreamy daze the whole day. rodrick had never seen him this way before, except for that one time they got high at a senior party last year but this was still unusual for ben to be doing alone.

"did you get high without me?" rodrick questioned, a little tingle of hurt lingering in his tone.

he had felt left out by his best friend for the past couple of weeks and he was starting to wonder if ben had made any new friends better than him. rodrick always tended to doubt himself no matter how confident he'd put himself out there..

"what?" ben asked in confusion, "no! man i'm trying to tell you something!"

rodrick motioned for him to continue as he plopped himself down on the couch. "go on then."

ben sighed, a goofy grin plastered onto his face. "i think you should go for it, giselle i mean."

"why?"

"well it's simple, do you like her?" ben asked.

rodrick nodded his head sheepishly, trying to avoid ben's googly eyes. "yes."

"do you want to be in a relationsh—-"

"—-woah, woah," rodrick interrupted, his heart practically raising at the mention of that word. "calm down, i don't even think she'd want to be with a guy like me."

"what makes you say that man?" ben questioned, shocking rodrick with how eager he sounded. he was always blunt and at times irritated by rodrick.

the boy shrugged, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly as he thought to himself why she wouldn't be with him..i mean it was simple, he was a loser and rodrick knew that very well.

"i..i just don't think i'm her type," rodrick responded, bluntly.

"you never know unless you try," ben answered.

"what about you huh? where have you been?"

ben smiled like a little kid on christmas day before replying, "i think zara and i just started dating."

"WHAT"

"rodrick no yelling!"