chapter seventeen ➝ "lies"

Chapter Seventeen: Lies by Marina and the Diamonds.

Picture: Indie's dress.

_________________________

"Honey," my mother frowned as she stroked my hair lovingly, "no one will judge you if you choose not to go tonight, you know that right?"

I stared at myself in the mirror and managed to avoid my mother's kind stare. She was being understanding, and her words were only meant for comfort. We both knew that I'd receive a lot more than petty judgment if I didn't go tonight.

"Mrs. James went out of her way to specifically invite me." I reminded my mother, before finally turning around.

Mum was dressed in an elegant black dress. The silk fabric rippled with her every movement. I smiled, letting her know without words that her choice of outfit was beautiful.

"I know, but if you don't want to face those sorts of memories-"

"It's been two years." I cut her off quietly. "I need to move on."

Mum sat down on the edge of my bed as I hooked earrings through my ear. She gave me a purposeful look. "If you want to move on then why didn't you invite Luke?"

"I don't want to explain this to him." I admitted, running my fingers over my own outfit. I had dug it out of my cupboard at last minute when Mrs. James had invited me to the Ball.

It was a charity ball, one that Mrs. and Mr. James through every year. There was an auction at the end of the night, and some of Hunter's things were going on sale.

"Maybe once you explain things to him, it'll be more real." Mum said lightly, sliding into some shoes. We were meant to leave as soon as Xavier came to pick us up.

"Things are already real." I muttered harshly. "Hunter is dead. You can't get more real then that."

"That's not what I meant." Mum looked slightly offended and hurt by my sudden change in attitude. "I was just trying to explain how letting it all out could help you in the long run."

I swallowed loudly, but refused to apologise. I was done with being polite. I'd talk to her about it tomorrow, but right now my emotions were heightened and I think she knew that.

The doorbell rung, breaking the awkward silence between my mother and me. She reached over and kissed me on the forehead before leaving the room. I just felt even guiltier. I kicked at the ground before reluctantly following her.

I wasn't looking forward to tonight, and I knew my mother wouldn't be either. She absolutely distasted Mrs. James but she tried to keep her mannerism polite, because after all, she had lost her son.

"Um, Indie, darling?" Mum called out, her voice hesitant and confused. "There's a young man at the door for you."