75.

Elaine's POV

I remember the first time I walked through these doors.  I remember it very clearly.   It was snowing that night.  The wind was cold and bitter, and I was only a few months pregnant with Charlotte. 

I was scared, penniless, and cold.  But most of all, scared.  Of raising a child as a single parent.

What if I couldn't provide for her?

I didn't have a good-paying job.  I could barely feed myself with the amount of money I earned.  The paycheck to paycheck life was not something my unborn child deserved. She didn't deserve to be brought into this world with my circumstances. She deserved so much more. 

And even now, I still feel the regret in my heart.  For thinking the unthinkable. 

In middle of the ceremony, I get a phone call, one that I was expecting.  My work phone continues to buzz in the pocket my peacoat as I step outside to answer it.

It's the owner of the apartment complex I was looking at a few weeks ago. The place was absolutely lovely.  Lots of sunlight peaked in from the skylight above the living room which was just enough space for a TV, a small couch and Charlotte's bookshelf of Disney Collector books.  The kitchen had an electric stove, granite counters all around. 

The only thing that mattered to me was the fact that it was a two bedroom apartment - one room for each of us.  Though I'm not used to sleeping by myself, Charlotte has always dreamed of her own room.  How she'd decorate it and how she'd finally sleep on her own like a big girl.

"It's ready for you to move in," she tells me, and I am pleasantly shocked. 

I had only filled out the application form so I wasn't expecting to get it right away. 

"Uh, wow, thank you! I'll be there at the end of this week to sign the lease agreement."

"Sounds like a plan."

I hang up before returning to my seat where Charlotte is quietly listening to Pastor Kelly still going on about how God only gives us what we can handle. 

After the ceremony finishes, Charlotte and I wait for everyone to leave first as usual.  The bus doesn't come around til an hour after so we don't want to be in anyone's way. 

Once the hall empties, Charlotte jumps from her seat and I follow suit, earning giggles from her.

"Can we get some ice cream today?" Charlotte asks, tugging at the end of my coat.

"I guess we have some time.  Sure, let's go," I say, slipping my hand in hers as we walk down the aisle towards the front doors.

"Miss Woods."  My name echoes through the hall.

I turn around and see Pastor Kelly walking towards us, wearing the biggest smile across his face.  I return one momentarily, noticing that he's not alone - there's someone following behind him.

"Morning, Father," I say, trying not to observe the obscured person.

"I assume you and little Charlotte are doing well."