17.

I stand in the kitchen making myself a bagel when I hear Josh yell upstairs.

"Jane!"

"What?"

"Can you come here?"

When I walk downstairs I see Josh sitting on the couch, in the silence.

"What?"

"I wanna talk to you."

"About what Josh?" I ask and roll my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes I just want to talk to you."

Josh always 'just wants to talk to me'. He acts like my father, which I appreciated but now that I'm an adult, and I don't need that guidance. Anyway,

"So what's going on?" He asks.

"What's going on with what?"

"Well with you, and a couple people."

"Like who Josh?" I ask growing more, and more aggravated.

"I don't know which one I should address first."

"Can you just get on with it. Say what you need to say that's been built up in your mind so that I can tell you about how it's not like that so we can go on about our day."

"Well it fucking looked like it!"

"What fucking looked like what?!"

"You, and Nate."

"Are you fucking serious Josh? What you fail to realize is that me, and Nate were really good friends before King Josh stepped in with his fucking disapproval. So any-fucking-thing you 'seen' between me, and Nate was fucking casual. I'm sorry, are we not allowed to speak to each other at all. We're just going to pretend each other does exist because you've got a fucking problem?" I shout. "Who else Josh? Who else am I not allowed to speak to?"

"I didn't fucking say you weren't allowed to fucking talk to them, I fucking said that it fucking looked like something was going on!"

"With who else?"

"Jack."

"Jack?" I ask, as my fucking heart falls to my stomach.

"Yeah Jack. Last night when I was trying to talk to you. I know he was in there with you. What were you guys doing?"

"Nothing?"

"Don't give me that shit. What were you guys doing?"

"We were just talking." I lie.

"I'm not a fucking fool Jane! Tell me what the fuck you guys were doing!" He says, growing mad.

"I just fucking did."

"Jane what the fuck I thought we were best friends! What happened to you being honest with me, and talking to me?"

"Josh I don't want to talk about it! Look I've been having a really rough couple of days, and Jack is a pretty cool guy. He noticed I was upset, he asked me what was wrong, and we talked. He told me if I needed him just to let him know. And I did, I needed someone to talk to multiple times these past couple days, so I talked to him."

"Why didn't you come to me? You always come to me. It's not like you to talk to someone you don't know about your problems."

"I know it's not Josh, but he's just one of those people you feel comfortable around. I didn't tell him my fucking deepest darkest secrets, I told him what was on my mind. I didn't come to you because I know you're dealing with a lot as it is. If it's something minor that can be sorted out by myself or with maybe someone else, I'll do that first."

"You can always come to me Jane. Even if my world is crumbling down around me, you can always come to me." He says, and pulls me into a hug.

I hug him back, and start crying. I feel like shit lying to him like that, but he would have lost it, and I didn't want it to go there. Maybe that's selfish. I don't know. But I didn't think the conversation would end up here either.

"I love you Josh."

"I love you, too."