Chapter 36

Annabelle

"Why did you laugh if you knew nothing about tyres?" He asked, in an acrimonious tone that had no impact on my smile.

"The look on your face was priceless." I shrugged and leaned on the car as the musical sound of cricket filled the air. It was obvious he was worn from all the stress and couldn't take my shit.

He shook his head, slide his phone out of his pocket and moved it to his ear.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm calling Aaron," he said, opening the car door. In a fast movement, I snatched the phone off his hands and retreated my steps.

"What are you-"

"It's late, only someone soo heartless will wake another at this ungodly hour of the night. And maybe, just maybe you need to do something yourself for once."

He closed his eyes for a few second and puffed out air.

"So what do you think we should do?" He stared at me with a wearied expression that made me stood straight.

"We use the net to learn."

"Like you learnt how to draw?" A waggish smile spread on his lips as he arched his brows.

I smiled and wagged a finger at him. "I see what you are getting out but it's going to be easy since we are going to do it together."

He opened the car door and switched the flashers on. "Oh really?"

I nodded, tucked his phone in my back pocket and swiped to YouTube on mine. "You need to get the spare tyre, a Jack and lug wrench," I said, showing the pictures of the needed items to him.

Obediently he opened the boot and brought out all items. I nodded, impressed by the work of my student.

"Next you need to wedge the wheels and since it's a front tyre that's flat, you need to wedge the rear."

"And why can't you do that?"

"Hey, I'm reading here," I replied, in a German accent. Ignoring my accent he stretched his hands.

"What?"

"I need my phone light to get stones or woods."

"Oh, sorry." I placed the phone in his hands and watched him searched for large stones.

A few minutes later, he wedged the tyre and followed my instructions without any objection.

"You need to be careful," I said, as he jacked down.

He turned to me. "Maybe you want to do this?"

"Nah, go on you are doing it just fine." I smiled lighting the way, while he worked.

I watched him tightened the Lugnut, replaced the tyre hubcap and returned the used items.

"This is great teamwork, don't you agree?" I asked, fixing my seat belt.

"You did nothing Annabelle." He started the car and pulled out of our packing space slowly.

"Well, I just taught you how to change your tyers with the use of the internet." I narrowed my eyes and turned to him.

He moved his stares from the free motorway and held mine. "Thanks."

"You are welcome for being an awesome student."

His smiled and moved his attention to the road. "I actually meant thanks for helping out with Emily."

"She is a great kid, I'm happy I did what I could," I murmured, staring out the window.

I sighed with a heavy heart, I knew what I had to do but making the move meant placing my pride on the line. I glanced at him and noticed a thin smile.

Now or never Annabelle.

"I'm sorry for saying you were heartless and cared about no one," I apologized, in a voice that sounded more like a whisper. I closed my eyes, praying he heard and knowing deep down I wasn't ready to repeat those words.

The car slowly came to a stop and I moved my eyes from the window to him ready to question his actions, but his words had me holding my breath. "I brought you here to please my mum just for the weekend."

I held his forgiving blue eyes and asked the same question I've heard in movies. "Why me? Why not someone else?"

"Because you were my last option that night." He took his hands off the steering wheels and focused his gaze on the empty road.

I thought about his words for seconds and asked, "Why didn't you take the real Eva?"

"We broke up and my mum really wanted to see her," He explained, slowly like a teacher solving an equation to a kid.

"You could've told her you broke up with Eva, you didn't have anything to lose or did you..." I trailed off and watched his eyes dug into mine. The effect of the stare was the sudden leaping of my heart and the increase rate of my curiosity.

He broke our intense stare and smiled. "I had nothing to lose, I just didn't want to bring my ex and you were perfect."

Perfect?

I felt my cheeks redden from his word of praise which was the first I ever had from him.

His attempt in opening up pushed me further into the dark, there was more I needed to know, like; What caused his break up with Eva that turned her into a psychopath? Why didn't he just tell me all this from the onset? Why did he have to put in much effort if there was nothing on the line? But I let it go in hope soon enough he would explain more.

"Now your turn Annabelle, tell me about your dreams."

"Do I really need to talk about it?"

"I fulfilled my own part of the deal, it's time for you to do same," he repeated the same words he said my first day at the castle, but this time with a smile that made me uncomfortable.

I shifted in my position and closed my eyes, letting the memories flow on its own will.

"My dreams are real ordeal I passed through after the death of my dad and I think the fire brought the memories back," I explained, as simple as I could.

The fact was, I couldn't hold back the anguish that flooded me the moment I closed my eyes and I still felt insecure with him.

His eyes widened in disbelief. "The hot irons and rods were real?"

"Yeap," I said. His expression was what I expected, despite never telling anyone about it I always imagined what their reaction would be, especially mum's and Joshua's.

I covered my lips with my palm as I yawned and stared at the screen of my phone.

2:00 am.

On impulse, I looked up and noticed his eyes were still on me, not his usual look of disdain or disgust but a soft one that made me wish I was out of the car.

It was a look of pity.

"Listen, I know we didn't start out on a right foot, I stole from you and have probably been a pain up your ass."

"You are not supposed to use such words Annabelle," he said, with a smile.

"Let me finish Your Highness."

He nodded and mumbled a 'ride on'.

"I have a few weeks and soon enough I will be off your hands, done with my pay. So can we be friends? Just for the time being. After that, I promise you will never set your eyes on me again," I said and stretched out my hands meaning every word that flew from my lips.

***

Authors note.

Hey guys, remember to vote and comment💖