F O R T Y F O U R

FORTY-FOUR: WAITING & WASHING DISHES

MY FEET TAPPED anxiously on the floor multiple times while my gaze was concentrated at the door. Not seeing a sign I continued to stride back and forth with my lip between the teeth. Theodore's flight had landed and the driver went to pick him up. It was time for his arrival but I guess New York traffic was performing wonders. 

And it felt like I've forgotten him - the way he looked at me with unwavering attention as if I was the only thing that mattered or the way the skin around his eyes crinkle when he smiled at christian's childish joke or the way he managed the work at an office with ease and experience which made me respect him as a person… it felt like those things have been faded into memories, into the past.

My feet were aching badly because today I, Christian, and Rohanna went to the NGO. We did our best to fill in space that Aria left and to some extent, it was working. 

Bella was behaving low most of the time but even she gave up to happiness when Christian gave her a piggyback ride and threw her in the air. I can still hear the laughter of kids and our mingling to give birth to an unforgettable symphony. It was relishing to feel things normal and like before. 

But when I think of my previous life, I realize I was so emotionless and my life was just like a still ocean. And now, it's a whirlpool of a hell lot of feeling like a tsunami but I'm still not complaining. But most importantly there were now people to lean over, a shoulder to cry on and fingers which would set their search in the maze of my hair to find me. It was overwhelming but it felt too good to be true. 

The knob twisted and I held my breath with anticipation, my feeling halting at their path. 

Theodore entered and I felt my throat clog. The clock stuck to an instantaneous halt when our eyes found their way to each other in no time. My eyes prickled with the massive surge of emotions as I rolled my lips inside to hold my breath. The handle of the suitcase was eased and it dropped to the floor with a little thud. My tense shoulders also seemed to ease with that movement.

He took a step and then two swift ones with open arms and unknown emotions playing on his eyes. It looked almost surreal and imaginary. Simultaneously, I twirled back on my ankles with happiness shimmering in my eyes and before I knew, my hand flew over his shoulders and we fused into one. My toes were on their tips for me to reach his height and his arms felt home secured tightly around me which eased the pain of my toes. I inhaled into his shoulder and his fingers tightened around me, slightly lifting the material of my cloth upwards. While the other hand found their way to the depths of my hair. The cool air marched its way to prick my exposed skin with numerous goosebumps.  

Suddenly, I felt a 'tick' sound and my eyes snapped open and I found that I was dozing on the couch.

 Oh, so it was my imaginations…

I scrambled out quickly, my hands flying to fix my hair. The door opened wide and he stepped in, engrossed with the luggage in his hand. His figure was slouched and tired.

Not knowing if I soothed out my bed hair or if my hands were stuck in the air, I pulled them down nonetheless. 

His gaze lifts up and I don't look away. I felt the time freeze and goosebumps relish their stay on my forearms. There were half-moons under his faded eyes, looking worn and stray. His jawline shone under the bulb right over his head. The aura was missing from his face.

And as it happened in my dreams, we froze along with the time. Neither of us made a move to say something and I found myself comparing the reality with imaginations.