His gentle smile

Kozume tightens his grip on your hand when the two of you come across a busy street. You take in the bright lights of Tokyo as you follow beside Kozume. It's your first time being in the city for enjoyment. The two of you don't have to walk far when you see a building with bright colorful lights. A claw machine store is tucked between two other stores. One selling electronics and another is a boutique. You expect Kozume to let go of your hand when you step into the claw machine store but he keeps his hold on you. "Which one do you like?" Kozume scans his eyes across the different machines. The variety surprises you when you see one carrying figures, another with plushies, one with snacks, and several others that are further back.

You spot a machine carrying cat plushies, they faintly remind you of Kozume. You pull Kozume along towards the machine and press your pointer finger against the glass. "That one looks like you Kenma." You say with a smile on your face. Kozume follows your gaze and sees an orange striped cat. He presses his lips together, clearing his throat. "No it doesn't." You turn to look over at Kozume, staring at him. Kozume turns his attention to you.

"How can you not see the similarity? You're both making the same faces too."

"He isn't making a face."

"Exactly! You're not either." You point at Kozume. Kozume widens his eyes briefly, you hear him hold back his laughter. "That's enough for you to compare me to that cat in there?"

"No..." You look back to the cat. "You remind me of a cat too. You only make the effort if it's something you enjoy. You wouldn't willingly do things for others if you didn't enjoy it. You're timid of others and you'll only approach the ones you trust. Just like a cat." You turn your eyes back to Kozume. Kozume takes in everything Y/N said, he doesn't say anything to her analysis. "Does that make you a dog then?" Kozume mumbles to himself. "A w-what?" You hear Kozume and he looks over to you.

"Based on how Kuroo described you in the past you were always by his side. You knew something was wrong so you made sure to be there for him. You were loyal. But when you reunited with Kuroo you were distant and kept your guard up. Like how a dog would bark at others to intimidate them. However, they're actually scared so they appear aggressive. With a little coaxing and attention the dog warms up to the person and they'll stay loyal to the person." You nibble on your bottom lip, listening to Kozume pour out his thought process.

"So we're the opposite." You look at Kozume, not trying to hide your frown. Kozume notices his observation bothered Y/N and he's quick to speak up.

"Opposites attract."

You're baffled from his response, fluttering your eyelashes in surprise. Kozume doesn't give you room to react when he inserts two coins into the claw machine. "You want the orange one, right?"

"Ah, yeah." You form a few words, stepping to the side to give Kozume room. Kozume focuses on the claw, moving the controller to the left slightly. You hold your breath when you watch the claw slowly drop. The silver metal claw opens and closes when it falls into the pile of cat plushies. Your eyes widen when you see the orange cat clasped around the claw. Kozume relaxes his shoulders when he sees the cat move over to the opening, a soft thud hitting the bottom of the machine. He leans over and takes the cat out of the machine, handing it over to you. Releasing your held breath, you take the cat from him. "Thank you Kenma!" You happily squish the cat against your cheek. "You make it look so easy." You hold your smile when you look at the orange cat in your hands.

Kozume shyly scratches the back of his head. "I've had a few years of experiences with claw machines."

"I should win something for you too." You suggest the idea, looking at the other machines. Kozume spots a machine with shiba inu plushies, he walks over to the machine. "Do you think you could win me one of these?" You walk over to Kozume and stare at the pile of shiba inu's. "Which one?" You smile when you see how adorable each one is. Kozume points towards a white shiba inu that has a pink bandanna. "That one looks like you." You flush from his words. "W-What?"

"Make sure you win that one for me." Kozume looks at you and you notice the smile in his eyes. "Alright..." Handing your plush to Kozume to hold, you open your coin purse and insert two coins inside the slot. You shake off your hands, feeling them clam up. You gauge all of your attention towards the claw and pray you can win Kozume's shiba in one try. But because of how nervous you are, you press the lower button a bit too soon. The claw is angled a bit forward and you miss completely. "Uh...I'm just warming up." You fumble your words out, inserting another two coins in. Kozume hides the smile on his face when he looks at your focused expression. He's more focused on you than the claw machine.

Ignoring your nervousness you attempt a second try for the shiba. Those beady eyes staring back at you. You place your hand down on the button to lower the claw. You don't breath, the tension eating at you when you watch the shiba slowly getting clasp by the claw. Time seems to move in slow motion when you watch the shiba wobble in the claw. The sweet sound of the shiba falling in the prize bin makes you exhale. Leaning over, you grab the shiba out of the machine. "Here you g-" You turn to look at Kozume. He's hiding his laughter with his hand. His cheeks red from muffling his laugh. "What's so funny Kenma?" You knit your brows together. Kozume lowers his hand, his shoulders shaking with laughter.

"S-Sorry Y/N. You just looked so serious. I would've been fine if you couldn't win it for me." Kozume clears his throat, handing you your plush back. Kozume reaches out for the shiba inu and takes it in his hold. Pressing your lips together, you avert your eyes down, blushing. "I'm leaving." You grumble out, turning around to leave. Kozume tangles his fingers with yours, stopping you in your tracks. "Thank you for winning me this Y/N." Kozume walks over to your side, he flashes you a gentle smile. A smile you've never seen on his face before. Your heart starts to pound. Kozume quietly leads you out of the store.

Clenching onto the cat plush closely, the scent of citrus and oak clouds over it. Your eyes nervously look over to Kozume. "What are you naming your shiba, Kenma?"

"Y/N." Kozume doesn't miss a beat to your question. Feeling your cheeks heat up again, Kozume gives your hand a gentle squeeze. "What are you naming the cat?" Kozume looks at you from the corner of his eye. "K-Kenma." You avert your gaze from him, feeling too shy. You never realized how adorable Kozume is until now. Kozume also never realized how adorable Y/N looks when she's flustered. His chest tightens when he sees her fall apart because of him.