Chapter 6 - Out of the Frying Pan

Start from the beginning

She had decided to move back to London, but was uncertain what she would do and how she would survive once she got there without work arranged. Then at the worst time, she got the call about the cottage. She had saved up enough money to go back to London, it wasn't in her budget or schedule to go over to France to survey the property. (And she knew a lot of things, but didn't know how to do that!) That was when Jerremee found his way in:

Having been defiantly self-sufficient for years after a sheltered upbringing, Valentina's wings were broken. She needed a champion... There was very rich (married) American politician whom she had met a few years before at a party. As he had a holiday home out there, they saw him occasionally. He had always been ever-so-eager to make his interest known and whenever Rex wasn't in earshot, he was always full of discreet hints of what he could do for her and her career if she would chuck Rex and consider HIM in 'that' way. Of course that had been when she hadn't been in the slightest bit interested – when she was unavailable and hadn't needed, or asked for help from anyone. Once she agreed to take him up on his offers (once she NEEDED him) the man was suddenly acting as if she had been the one chasing him! Well she wasn't putting up with that! No way!

Jerremee was there however: gentle and kind, offering a helping hand of untainted 'true friendship'. Unlike the rich men she knew, he wasn't some slick talking, over-privileged (aged) egotist, who thought he deserved the world – without offering a little of what he easily could afford in return. He said she would be doing him a favour: he hadn't had a holiday in months and he claimed he knew a thing or two about the real estate market in France as her intention in going there had been just to put the cottage up for sale. Being a solicitor, he could easily get a French colleague in properties to deal with the legal paperwork for her, as a small favour to him. 'It would be fun. It was his pleasure to do it.'

Valentina hadn't been remotely reluctant in accepting. Jerremee had made her feel that safe, that sure that they were "true friends" and that he was just one of those mild-mannered, gallant gentleman of outstanding character –one who was bored, with time on his hands and a certain amount of money, but wasn't as fortunate as men like the politician who had their pick of gratifying life experiences and fill of attention from others, due to their more fortunate station in life– that she had had no reason to doubt him. 'He just wanted to help what little he could.'

And what was he offering really, but go with her to France for a free, mini holiday and in exchange, drive her around a bit and get a friend to make him a favour?

Valentina was the perfect dupe. She had a much greater propensity of connecting with others on an intimate, yet purely platonic level than the average person (as well as being raised with the ideology that helping people in need, without expecting anything in return, was natural and correct; it was part of the circle of life). Most of the men she had been exposed to throughout her early life were older, admirable, past the need of pressuring and creeping in anything – or at least too proud to put themselves in such positions. Equally, although she herself was not one, most of the people Valentina had met in recent years did not need to work (or did not make a great habit of it) and so, if not led by the noble concerns of altruism, they were the sorts that were very bored and often keen to find some project to keep themselves amused. Unfortunately for these and various other circumstances particular to Valentina, Jerremee –a person in truth she did not know well– offering to go with her alone to France and help her, seemed completely normal and good.

And everything had been good... until the last night when he sprung on her:

The few times they had spoken over the several months prior, he had always been keen to speak about topics like universal love and charitable work (topics he brought up). He himself was supposedly broken-hearted and still in love with someone else. Most of his friends were women. Supposedly, he wasn't even that active sexually!