CHAPTER 16

Nine.. ten..

"How many more disappointments are you planning to give us, you useless, useless child?"

Ten seconds. That's ten seconds until a woman called a mother burst.

A small, bitter smile only stretched on Chenle's lips as he looked at his mother again.

Contradicting her bright, shining jewelry is a deep frown and furrowed brows on her face, as she looked at him like he's the most worthless and a great mistake.

He only locked his hands inside his jean pockets—not to look disrespectful, but to stop himself from going berserk.

As much as he hates this family, hurting them is the least on his list.

It was funny that they never hesitated to get physical with him.

"Tell me, child. What are you really planning for yourself, hm? Get drunk? Get laid?"

"That's offensive, mom. It's like you never bragged me with your friends for being smart and a strong candidate for the business", he smirks. "Or is it only for show?"

"What's that brain for if you resist understanding? Without the business growing, you would never even go to college!"

"Why does it sound like you're regretting wasting a single cent for me? Also, is it the parents' responsibility to provide basic needs? Education? Why does it sound like a favor? Clothing me so you can guilt-trip anytime like I'm in a fucking dress-up?"

"You don't question our capability of raising you, Zhong Chenle. And you have one job!"

"When did marriage become a job? I understand that you need a strong foundation for the business to run longer, but I'm sure you can do it without forcing two people to tie the knot! What's with you and this cliché arrangement of marriages that no one ever liked?"

"Kim Hyerin is the closest that you can get along with."

"The lady has a boyfriend, my god, mom! And we both called it off so easily, she said so herself. I'm not her type. She's not trading the guy for anything. Didn't you run a background check on her? Oh, you did. But you don't care."

"I'll have your father discipline you."

"Go on. Even if you send the whole family, go. But know this, mom, even if there comes a time that I get forced, you won't receive anything good from me. That'll be another hell for you. You know what? Why won't I find a bride myself? Someone you would never dare to set me up with?"

"Don't turn your back on me, child!"

"You turned your back on me first for a very long time, mother. Why would I keep facing you?"

🚬 🚬 🚬

"How are you and Mark?", the old woman asks. "Have you spoken about the wedding plans?"