Chapter One

Chapter One (Anthony)

If there was one thing that stuck by me throughout all the shit that life's given me, it was alcohol.

After I was kicked out, after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, after my divorice, after I stopped smoking. All of it. The only thing that stuck by me the entire time was the bottle of Budlight in my hand. The way it sparkled behind the brown glass under the lights of the bar.

A bar that was filled with things so familiar to me that it was more like a second home to me. The rich heavy smell of beer mingled with the hot scent of tobacco. Glasses clinking, the occasional chuckle of friends that had gotten together in one of the furthest corners, the stereo with thrumming slow music that made me feel dizzy.

Or maybe it was the fact that I'd downed a good three bottles of Budlight and was headed for my fourth.

"Yo, Anthony, if you drink anymore, I'm throwing you out." I glanced up past my light brown hair before reaching up to push it back from my face. The bartender was watching me, leaning on the counter with his muscles bulging under a snug dark purple V-neck to match his skinny jeans. His head was shaved and he was definitely one of those rough, tough biker kinda guys that enjoyed tormenting the fresh meat that wondered into the gay bar out of curiosity.

"Sorry, Val, just really not feeling so hot." I muttered under my breath, even though the sound of him threatening me was making my blood kick into overdrive. This happened every time and quite honestly, I didn't care anymore.

I didn't care if I went out of control and struck out at the nearest person. It was their fault for being there and I didn't want to be the only one suffering.

And I hated myself for thinking that way.

Right now, I fucking hated everything.

"If you start another fight," Val started, making the hairs on the back of my neck raise in irritation, "I'm gonna call the cops, and the last thing you need is them cracking down on you since you've been suspended from work."

Oh, he just had to rub it in.

Ever since Tristian and Rex had jumped on my ass about his apartment, the cops were watching me hardcore. I had only gotten drunk once after that and they hauled my ass in for another court date, to which the result was being my suspension as a teacher at the college. Sure, it was a paid leave, but that still gave me nothing to do, but drink.

I had no hobbies.

I had no friends.

I had no family-- that wanted to see me anyway.

My little sister and older brother wouldn't see me after the cops called to check up on where I had been. I had told them I wasn't drinking anymore and obviously the cop gave it away when he called about Tristian's apartment burning down.

It had been his neighbor's cigarette come to find out and I knew Tristian felt bad about it. He'd tried apologizing a couple times, but I really didn't want to be around him. He was so happy with Rex that it actually pissed me off.

"You need to find something to do with yourself," Val scolded, leaning his arms onto the counter to peer into my face, but his face was blurry to me, "Like, buy a cat or something." I actually laughed at that, slumping onto the counter before I lifted my head lazily, taking a swig of beer.

I adored the warm, rich flavor as it fell down my throat and sploshed into the pit of my stomach, making it twist up. There was a dull ache somewhere inside me, but I ignored it as I looked at Val.

"I'd probably end up punching my cat." I pointed out, making Val snort before looking up, a smile splitting across his face. I cocked my head, frowning a little before sitting up. I turned halfway around in the bar stool to see someone walking in through the front door.