18.

"HOW ATHENA GREY DIED

"HOW ATHENA GREY DIED.."
--¤☆¤--

"DON'T LET GO! DON'T LET GO!" Johanna screamed, but it was muffled by the loud noise of the rigid waves.

Hearing her panicked scream, both Finnick and Peeta's head snapped in their direction, their blood running cold at the sight before them. Hanging off the edge was Katniss and Athena, their grips loose, seconds away from failing. Sticking her axe into the rock in hopes of getting a better grip, Johanna reaches out for Athena, their fingertips just brushing.

So close. Turning her head back to Katniss, Johanna reaches her arm out grabbing onto her wrist, holding onto her the best that she can. When suddenly, both of their grips failed on the rocks, flinging them backwards into the water harshly. No. No. No. They were gone.

"KATNISS!" Peeta shouts, but it is overpowered by the frantic screams of Finnick.

"ATHENA!" Finnick shouts, his eyes darting at the fast moving waters.

Just as random as the spinning had started, the island stopped spinning completely making the water calm slightly. Scrambling to the edge of the island, both Finnick and Peeta looked for any signs of Athena or Katniss in the water. An outline of a body. An outreached hand. Something. Anything. Hearing a loud coughing and gagging, they frantically scanned the surrounding waters for who it was.

"She's over here!" Johanna shouts, pointing to the hunched over figure on the rocks.

Stumbling to the rocks as best they could, considering that their heads felt like they were still spinning. They found Katniss hunched over the rocks, coughing up all the water that she had swallowed, but still there was no sight of Athena. Where was she? Under the water? On the beach? On the other side of the Cornucopia? Where was she? Was she okay? She had to be. She has to be.

"Where's Athena?" Johanna asks, raising her eyebrow.

"I'm gonna find her." Finnick said, scanning the choppy waters for any sight of her.

"No Finnick, it's to risky⎯" Peeta said, but was cut off by Finnick diving into the water.

Taking a deep breath, Finnick dived down and could faintly see Athena in the water near the bottom, a trail of blood leading him to her body. She wasn't moving. She wasn't moving at all. Diving down even deeper, he reached out to grab her arm, when the muffled sound of a cannon going off caught his attention. No. No. She can't be dead. He brought Peeta back, he could do the same with her.

He also knew that he needed to hurry because there was a small chance that Athena would be alive. They taught them in Four that a person becomes brain dead after five minutes of being underwater. He needed to get her. He had to get to her. He needed her. He needs her. Just as he was about to grab her hand, his lungs burned for air making spots cloud his vision. Fuck.

"Finnick!" Johanna shouts, her voice panicking.

Frustrated he quickly swam to the surface, letting out a frustrated scream of anger, he needed to get to her. He has to get to her. Inhaling as much air as he could, he dives back down using every ounce, every spec of his energy into getting to her. He won't lose her. He won't.