Welcome to the neighborhood

Your dad drives the movers truck into the driveway. "Here we are Y/N." Dad smiles at the house in front of you. You groggily wake up, your mother's photo frame still tightly held in your arm. Rubbing your eyes, you look ahead at your new home. Your dad's job relocated him to Tokyo so the two of you packed everything from your old home of eight years into one movers truck. The two of you needed a change of view from your previous countryside life since your mother's passing last year.

Tokyo is the perfect answer.

Life here seems to go in a blur. Everyone's in a hurry to go somewhere and no one seems to stop to smell the flowers. The two of you unbuckle your seat-belts and hop out of the truck. The sun is already setting by the time you arrived. Dad walks over to you, placing his arm around your shoulder. You clench tightly onto your mothers photo frame. "This is our new home honey." Dad whispers towards the house. You mentally wish your mother is here to see it. You rest your head on your dads chest. With his free hand he ruffles the top of your head.

Kuroo and Kozume are walking home from practice and notice a movers truck just across from Kozume's house. Kuroo takes the popsicle out of his mouth and glances over, curious. "Hey, look Kenma we have new neighbors." Kozume raises his eyes away from his phone and looks towards the direction Kuroo's staring at. "Should we go greet them? Kuroo turns to look at Kozume who wears a deadpan expression. Kuroo turns his attention back to the new neighbors and notices a girl walk inside the house. A smirk grows on his face.

"Oh god." Kozume mumbles under his breath. Kuroo quickly runs over to the movers truck leaving Kozume behind.

"Welcome to the neighborhood sir." Kuroo bows to Y/N's father, a smile on his face. Y/N's dad jumps in surprise when he turns around to see a teenager with messy spiky black hair. "Ah, thank you." Dad grins. He looks at Kuroo a bit longer, recognizing those familiar hazel eyes with cat like pupils. Kuroo also tilts his head, taking a look at the man. "Correct me if I'm wrong but...are you Kuroo Tetsurō?" Kuroo looks alarmed when he hears his name. "Yes, that would be me." Kuroo blinks in surprise. The man laughs wholeheartedly. "Such a small world. I didn't think I'd see you after you moved eight years ago."

Kozume quietly stands next to Kuroo and Y/N's dad notices a new face. "Hello sir." Kozume says softly. "This is my friend, Kozume Kenma." Kuroo happily introduces the two. "Is Mrs. Y/L/N and Y/N with you?" Y/N's dad's smile droops a bit. "My wife passed away last year. But Y/N is with me. She should come back out shortly."

"Dad, what's taking so long?" You walk out of the house after placing a few boxes inside. You notice two unfamiliar faces standing in front of your dad. A tall broad shoulder guy with messy spiky black hair starts running at you full force. You squeal at the sudden charge, attempting to dodge out of the way.

Who is this lunatic and why is he coming at you?!

However, his long arms envelope you into a tight embrace. You paralyze in his grasp, your eyes wide. "Y/N, it's been awhile." The strange guy speaks to you. Your brows knit together, confused.

How did he know your name?

You ready yourself to push him off but he pulls away from you. "It's me, Kuroo Tetsurō." The guy named Kuroo Tetsurō gives you a lopsided smile. You ponder on the name, averting your eyes to the side. "Hey, you can't have forgotten me?!" Kuroo grumbles, crossing his arms. "The Tetsurō I remembered was shy and cute." You mumble to yourself. "HEY. I HEARD THAT. Are you saying I'm not cute?!" You flick your eyes to Kuroo. "You're also not quiet either." Kuroo clenches his teeth together, pulling your cheek. "HEY." You shout out.

"That's how you greet your childhood friend? We were best friends at one point you know?!" You pry his fingers off your cheek and frown, placing a hand on the cheek he just pinched. "Yeah, at one point." You grumble, walking past him. Kuroo notices Y/N's standoffish behavior. He reaches out to grab your wrist and you turn around to look at him, pulling your arm back. Your dad steps up from behind you and apologizes to Kuroo for your behavior. "Y/N hasn't been herself since her mother passed. Sorry for the way she's acting towards you Kuroo." You shoot a glare at your dad.

Kuroo slowly nods his head, his hazel eyes still on you. Kozume quietly walks over to Kuroo's side and you have a clearer view of the second stranger. The guy standing next to Kuroo is average height with black roots and blonde long hair that stops to his neck. You quickly notice his cat like golden eyes. "Kenma, meet my childhood best friend." Kuroo points towards you. Your eyes stare over at the cat like guy. Neither of you say a word to one another. Your dad gently presses down on your back, making you bow towards the two.

"D-Dad." You stand upright. "Stop being so uptight. These two came over to welcome us." Dad scolds you before walking back to the truck. Biting your lower lip, you slowly look up to Kuroo's friend.

"Kozume Kenma, Kuroo's current best friend." The guy in front of you speaks up. You're surprised by how much deeper his voice is compared to Kuroo's. "Y/L/N Y/N, it's nice to meet you." The two of you stare at each other in silence. "My dad and I have a lot of unpacking to do so...if you'll excuse me." You bow to the two of them and turn your back around, walking over to help your dad.

Kuroo scratches the back of his head. "She used to be a cheerful silly girl. I guess losing her mother really upset her."

"Nothing you can do about it Kuro." Kozume says towards him. "Let's go back to our homes. We still have school tomorrow and I'd like to beat the last stage in my game before bed." Kuroo chuckles next to Kozume and nods his head. The two quietly walk back across the street. Kuroo turns his head to watch Y/N carry boxes inside the house. His lips frowning when he sees how different she is from what he remembered.