Chapter 19

Finn knew Emily was there before he saw her.

Campbell had convinced Finn they had to get Max off the base and back into the land of the living. Not knowing the scene, they had turned to Lance for suggestions on a place. Of course, Lance came through getting them on the VIP list at a club owned by a friend. But he gave his regrets for not joining them. Pregnant wife and all.

Trying to get Max laid was the ultimate goal, but just getting him to the club was a monumental effort. Finn eventually won the younger man over using the excuse of needing a wingman himself. In the past, Max had often played this role. Not that Finn had any intention of pulling a woman tonight. His thoughts were only for Emily and the kiss they had shared.

Lance texted to say Aunt E had regained consciousness a few hours after they left. Despite a bad headache, she was said to be enjoying her stay at the hospital, ordering the nurses around. The family was rotating shifts, looking after her. Emily had the evenings, after work.

The last thing Finn expected was to see Emily tonight, never mind at a club. It did not seem like Emily's type of place. Of course, he was not in the know as to what her type of place was, but somehow the super chic almost plastic crowd crammed into the warehouse space did not seem likely. Emily belonged in quaint intimate bars with signature cocktails, each demanding their own unique glassware, tables for two to encourage conversation and live music playing. The Playground served beer or mixed drinks in plastic cups and bombarded its customers with a non-stop beat of techno music perfect for anonymous dancers to grind to.

For the first time in almost a week, Finn's mind was not consumed by thoughts of Emily. He had a mission and he was intent on fulfilling it. One of his crew was in need and he was determined to fix things. This was what he was good at. Taking action. Finding solutions. Bringing the mission to completion.

It had simply been an urge to turn around, his body reacting to a presence, like a magnet to steel. And there, across the room was Emily.

Was he daydreaming?

No, this was no figment of his imagination. Because Finn had never dreamt of Emily Montgomery like this.

She had always been beautiful; her simple sundresses were a constant temptation to him back in the day. Even in the office, dressed in her frumpy business suits, her exquisiteness shone through. But now Emily worked a green dress which was anything but simple. It was downright sexy. The silky fabric clung to her curves, a plunging neckline hinted at her perfect breasts and cinched at her tiny waist. The one Finn absently wondered if his hands could still wrap around and touch. The fabric ended mid-calf, showcasing her slim legs.

Catching him staring at her, Emily's mouth fell open for a moment before waving to him. Her auburn hair flowed over her shoulders, caressing slender arms Finn wished would hold him again.

After turning to talk to a cute blonde woman in a short black dress, the pair made their way towards him. Finn felt butterflies in his stomach as she approached. A few men ogled her as she walked by, but Emily seemed oblivious.

"Hey, Finn."

"Are you stalking me?" Finn mentally slapped himself. He had meant it as an attempt at being funny. Emily's reaction was anything but jovial, her face paling and falling. Before he could think of a way to fix it, Max and Campbell noticed Emily's presence.

"Emily!" The scowl Max had been wearing all night disappeared.

Emily gave Max a quick hug and nodded at Campbell. Then, taking a step back, she introduced her friend. "Kerri, this is Campbell, Max and Finn." She did not meet Finn's eyes when she pointed his way.