18| An Unknown rivalry

|CHAPTER - 18|

* * *

The sweet tweets of Sparrows and tiny birds echoed in the open space of the backyard as Raghuveer and Jaidev stood discussing issues regarding the royal palace. The afternoon was cloudy, with dark blue clouds hiding the sun behind them. 

Dhruvan was not back from the forest yet, that poor boy looked completely scared when Jaidev requested him to bring those herbs. Raghuveer had to force himself from helping Dhruvan, he is no more a kid and should learn to be independent. Raghuveer half-heartedly decided that from now on, he will stop treating Dhruvan as a kid and only in that way will he be able to protect himself at times of trouble. 

Yet, he can't seem to stop himself from worrying about him and Riya will be out of her chambers demanding for food any minute. 

"Raghu, I have known you for years and I also know this for a fact that you will be turning a deaf ear to all my words but still, I want to tell you this." Jaidev glanced at his friend with desperateness as he spoke, "My spy from the queen's chamber informed me that the queen is planning something huge for you. To make you stay back here and never return."

A small chuckle escaped Raghuveer's throat as he glanced at his friend with amusement, "I will step inside the palace when it is time to, rushing things without a plan is not my favourite-"

"Without a plan?" Jaidev couldn't help but scoff at that sentence, feelings of both worry and anger rushing through him, "All these years I have been working for you, everyone but Dipankar blindly believe that I am on the queen's side! The king is falling sick and your stepmother is weaving steps for her cunning son! If this crucial time flies away, I am afraid you might-" 

"Riya?" A huge frown took over Raghuveer's face and her name slipped off his mouth as he looked in the direction from which prince Dipankar was carrying Riya in his arms. Raghuveer's blood boiled as he observed them, how dare he touch her? 

"What is Dipankar doing here-" Before Jaidev could complete his sentence Raghuveer strode so forcefully towards Dipankar that Jaidev could feel the ground shiver under him.

Riya's head was filled with the thoughts of Dhruvan all the while Dipankar carried her. When she could see the familiar surroundings she turned her head forward and was surprised to see Raghuveer walking towards them. 

"Oh, Veeru?" She whispered with a small smile as Dipankar lowered himself to let her step down carefully, finally standing on her feet she expectantly looked at Raghuveer to be concerned about her wound but instead, he walked in full force punching Dipankar straight in his face making him swing to the other side.

Riya placed her palm over her mouth to prevent herself from shouting as Dipankar slowly stood up with a bleeding lip and Riya let out a gasp in shock, she expected Raghuveer to look at her at least now but he only clenched his fist tight with a red face ready to hit Dipankar once again. 

"What are you doing!" Riya screamed loudly trying to stop Raghuveer but this time Dipankar punched him hard which soon lead to a  battle. 

Raghuveer saw red as he kept punching Dipankar, how dare this manwhore touch Riya? Everyone knows his desire for women and how did he imagine that he can mess with Riya? He will rip Dipankar into pieces!  He should know better than to mess with his people. Unable to take the punches Dipankar gathered all his force and gave a long clenched hit on his nose making Raghuveer crash to the ground. 

The cloudy sky kept thundering as if it had predicted this unfortunate event. Dry and thin soil particles and dead leaves were sticking to the blood on his face amplifying the frustration in him. From the corner of his eye, he could see Riya running to him, but shortly she was halted by Jaidev as he held her hand.