Sixteen // fire

It's a dangerous game we are about to play. It could go all types of wrong and possibly jeopardize once and for all the civilized relationship Calum and I are able to maintain at the moment. It could also be enlightening and both of us could finally have the answers to the million questions roaming our minds - although the possibility of the last one happening is slightly unlikely. The stakes are definitely high and we could lose more than we would gain, but our curiosities speak louder than the fear. Our hearts speak louder than logical reason.
"Alright, go easy on me" I give in, beginning to wonder if I forgot how to say no to Calum
"Okay, first question" The smirk on his face makes me scared of what is to come "What is the capital of Burundi?"
"What?" My tone expresses my confusion while all Calum does is laugh "Is this a fucking Geography quiz? I don't know this"
"Then you have to drink" He proudly concludes, probably thinking he is a genius for it
"Fuck you"
I mutter before grabbing the bottle between us with a groan and twisting the cap.
"Gladly" Calum winks at me, displaying the smug grin on his annoyingly handsome face

Calum fucking winks at me.

The liquid burns my throat but something else makes my skin itchy - or better said, someone.
"My turn" Quickly looking away, I try to come up with a question as ridiculous as his "How many years do hippos usually live?"
He laughs, his beautiful loud laughter filling the air around us. The empty parking lot offers us a privileged view of the L.A. landscape, but also a much needed privacy at such early hours. We are the only ones here, although I think that Calum would make me feel like we are alone even in a crowded room.
"Vengeance, I like it" He chuckles "I think maybe 20 years...?"
"Meeeeh! Wrong! You have to drink" I confidently exclaim even if I don't know the answer myself

But he couldn't be right.

"You don't know whether I'm wrong or not" Calum objectifies, also laughing "You don't know the answer either"
I roll my eyes, this time pulling my phone out of my back pocket to Google the ridiculous question. Calum leans in, his shoulder brushing mine, eyes shamelessly locked on me instead of the screen. I can feel his warm breath fanning my face, his gaze burning my skin and his scent inebriating my senses.
Blinking away the momentary confusion, I clear my throat while telling myself to focus.
"See" I show him my phone "They live 40 to 50 years. I told you you were wrong" I brag, even if I had no idea what was the right answer just a second ago "Drink!"
"Alright, hippo expert" He mocks, bringing the bottle to his plump lips and taking a long sip. An evil smile decorates his face once he lowers the bottle, ready to shoot his next question "In which year was given Australia's Independence?"
"Come on, Calum" I playfully shove his shoulder "Are you for real?"
"I'm Australian! You should know my country's culture" He justifies in a obvious tone
"I don't even know your full name, dude"
It's obviously a joke but it works to get him worked out.
"What?" His indignant tone makes me laugh "Now I'm offended. How can you not know my full name? We dated!"
As if I needed a reminder of that, I think to myself.
"Chill, Calum Thomas Hood" I say with a roll of eyes, making sure that he knows it was a joke "But I don't know about Australia, maybe 2011? I think Australia was really independent only after 5SOS was formed"
Calum looks at me with mischief, his chocolate eyes shining with the new found information. He passes me the open bottle, watching as I sip on the liquid.
"Look at you being a 5SOS fan and all" He teases, clearly loving this moment "Fun fact, we actually celebrate Australia Day tomorrow. January 26"
The smart grin on his face is one of the cutest scenes I've ever witnessed. Calum is visibly proud of sharing the information, like a wiseman disseminating his wisdom and I am honored to be at the other end of his teaching methods.
"Nice" I mock, my tone plain and uninterested "My turn. What is my grandmother's full name?"
This time, we both laugh. Drinking on an empty stomach clearly showing its effects on me, but the situation it's too ridiculous not to laugh. I was genuinely concerned about this game, thinking that the alcohol would make me reveal too much, secrets too dark to be shared in broad daylight.
"Eleanor Potter Griffindor" Calum says, his high pitched voice sounding in between laughs
"Whaaaat?"
I can barely breathe now, my stomach hurting from laughing so much as I feel my eyes begin to water. I can't remember the last time I cried from laughter, it was so long ago that I even forgot how good it is. In that moment, I felt alive again, I felt like myself.
We need another moment to catch our breaths, our gazes locked on each other as the melody of our mixed laughters invaded the empty parking lot.
"I assumed your great-grandparents were Potterheads" He states, making me fall in another fit of laughter
"You are so dorky" I say still laughing while wiping the few tears on the sleeve of my jacket "Just drink it"
Calum grabs the bottle from my hand and drinks the whiskey, looking at me the entire time.
"How old was I when I broke my arm?" He asks, after putting the bottle down
"Seven" I bluntly say
"WHAT!? How do you know that?" His beyond surprised and slightly irritated voice makes me start laughing again
"Did I get it right?"
"Yeah" His frowned brows show just how outraged he is - and it obviously only makes me laugh harder
"Hell yes!" I yell into the air, the city at our feet making me feel invincible
"That's not fair" Calum complains but the sparkle behind his eyes tell me he isn't truly mad "You are no fun"
Shrugging my shoulders, I stick my tongue out for him with a smile as wide as our view.
"I'm having fun" I say, in the cockiest and most conceited voice I can
"I'm glad. I'm having fun too" Calum is suddenly serious, his husky voice meaning every word and making my heart skip a beat by the way his eyes drink me in "When did you start working at the club?"
The change in his tone tells me the game has started for real now, no more ridiculous unanswerable questions. The shift in the air between us even affects my mood, the wide smile quickly being wiped off my face. Calum adjusts his posture, sitting straighter up to look at me, as if he wanted a better view of the features he wants to study.
"September 28th" I say, being able to remember the day as if it was yesterday
"Why are you there?"
"Hold up! It's my turn now..." I protest "Why were you celebrating your birthday yesterday?"
"Because my parents and Mali are arriving in L.A. tonight and I'm taking them out to dinner"