Chapter 168

Mr. Weasley's words were carried in my head for the weeks that proceeded. I was scared for Sirius and horrified for the fate that awaited Remus and Tonks and many others.

I honestly didn't know which was worse; the stress of knowing what was going to happen to some people, or the fear of not knowing what was supposed to happen to some others.

It was lucky that Fred and George had agreed to come here to Aunt Muriel's house with me earlier than what they were supposed to. Otherwise, like Mr. Weasley had said, the Snatchers would've caught them to question them about me.

But even though we were safe and sound here, I still wasn't too reassured. What if Fred and George hadn't left the shop with me? If they had stayed, would they have been taken by the Death Eaters and tortured for my whereabouts?

Maybe they were all better off without me in their lives to begin with.

      "Okay, so we're off," said Fred as he walked into my room, snapping me out of my thoughts.

      It was now around Christmas, but all this time, Aunt Muriel had forced us to take separate bedrooms no matter how much we argued, saying that a man and a woman weren't supposed to share a bed before marriage.

     But little did she know that every night after she went to bed, either me or Fred would sneak off to each other's rooms in the middle of the night, only to set an alarm clock in the morning to return to our own rooms before Muriel could wake up.

     Although it was usually Fred who came into my room, seeing as I was incapable of waking up too early in the morning to sneak back.

     "Lee's first broadcast, huh?" I said with a smile.

     "Yup." Fred grinned. "And we've all got our codenames and all. Lee's River, Kingsley's name is Royal, Lupin's Romulus, and I'm Rapier."

      I giggled. "However you lot came up with those names."

      "I'll see you later then. Don't wait up tonight," said Fred, pecking me on the lips before grinning. "Actually, do wait up."

      "Why?" I raised a curious brow at him.

     "I've got a few things on my mind." He winked at me, making me laugh.

      I then left my room and walked Fred and George toward the entrance door of the house to bid them goodbye.

      "Oh, and remember," said George, "the first password is 'Dumbledore'. We've been spreading the word to those we trust. The next password will be given at the end of each broadcast. So don't miss it."

      "When will it air, exactly?" I asked them.

      "Not sure." Fred shrugged. "I suppose it will be in two or three hours. Maybe longer. We'll have to make sure our location is safe first."

     "All right. Good luck, you two," I said and with that, the twins Dissaparated away.

      I wished I could go away with them, but the Order wanted me here and I didn't want to cause anyone more trouble.

      Although the problem was, Aunt Muriel had apparently mistaken me for a House Elf, ordering me around the house to help her clean the place up. Even though I was able to use magic, it was still as boring as it could get. No matter how much you cleaned, it was still dirty.

     After what felt like ages, I finally managed to escape Muriel right before she could get the chance to ask me to do something else. 

      So I went upstairs and took out the radio, changing through the channels and trying to tune in. But nothing happened for at least an hour later, when finally my password worked and the program started playing.

      "Evening, everybody!" I smiled at Lee Jordan's familiar voice, although it sounded deeper than the last time I had seen him. "This is River, your host of Potterwatch. I am joined today by a few guests, so hopefully we can keep up with what You-Know-Who and his charming Death Eaters have been up to lately."

       I chuckled at that as Lee went on.

      "But before we hear from our fellow contributors, let's take a moment to report a few things that Wizarding Wireless Network News and Daily Prophet don't think important enough to mention," said Lee's voice. "I'm most unfortunate to inform that Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell have gone missing, along with Muggle-born Dean Thomas, Cresswell, and Gornuk. Whether they are on the run or have been captured, we do not know yet."

       My stomach lurched painfully at those names. But I just kept listening to the program as Lee went on and then Kingsley and Lupin started speaking, giving different reports about the war which was going on in the Wizarding world and the way it effected the Muggles.

      Although I think everyone who was listening had a good laugh once Fred and George starting reporting sightings of You-Know-Who, saying things like, "He can travel faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to."

      Once the program was over, they announced that the password for the next broadcast was going to be 'Phoenix' and so I tuned out at last.

      When I looked up at the clock, I saw that it was already ten p.m, meaning that Aunt Muriel had already gone to sleep.

      So sighing to myself, I went downstairs and into the living room, sitting before the small fireplace and staring into the flames as I waited for Fred and George to return.

    I obviously didn't expect them to come back for another hour, but I started to get extremely worried when they still hadn't come after long hours.

     It was now past midnight and my heartbeat hadn't slowed down ever since. I kept thinking that if the Snatchers found them, they would take Fred and George away for the accusation of hiding a Muggle-born.

     I don't know what time it was when I had fallen asleep on the couch out of my control, purely because of exhaustion. But I snapped awake when I heard something.

      Looking at the big grandfather clock in the hall, I saw that it was now three a.m. I thought that I had heard someone Apparate outside the house, but then I suddenly heard another sound coming from upstairs.

       Had Fred and George already arrived and didn't see me on the couch and went upstairs already? But what was that banging sound?

      Taking a heavy breath, I reached for my wand and started following the sound upstairs. It was coming from the room in the attic, behind its closed door. I had never been inside it before.

     I tightened my grip on the wand as I reached out for the doorknob to twist it and open the door.

       But just then, my eyes widened and I screamed as I looked inside and saw Fred's body there, laying on the floor motionlessly with blood dripping down his face.