11.) A Deadly Twist

The night wind chills me to bones and I'm regretting my decision to wear shorts and a tank top. The police have already questioned me and they're now talking to the nearby neighbors. As I sit in the truck the paramedics are establishing an IV and attempting to cheer me up. Their words aren't helping me at all so I just nod occasionally as if I'm actually listening. All I wanted to do was go home for the weekend and rest but obviously the world isn't giving me a break this week. I have no idea how my mom ended up like this and why she wasn't awake. She is the only one that takes care of me and loves me, I can't lose her now. I've already lost my dad, and if I lose my mom I'll have no one. I'll end up like those kids who are angry at the world, lost, and broken with only memories. My eyes focus on my mom's face which is beaten up badly then her arm which is sliced open with blood dripping out. And my heart can't help but break. If only I'd come home earlier, this wouldn’t have happened. Suddenly, I feel a lump in my throat and pain in my heart as tears came splashing down. It all feels like my fault, everything. All my friends know I've been sexually harassed and now my mom is badly hurt with bruises everywhere. If only I'd done things differently...

"Sofia! We've talked to a couple of people and it seems your mom was physically and brutally attacked in her own home. There isn't enough evidence at this moment as to who did this but we can tell you more than one person was involved. We'll keep in touch with you and your mother as soon as we get more details. So sorry about this kid. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who take pleasure in hurting others. I've seen far worse and this isn't that bad so don't worry." he said. I look at him and he says this with such ease, not one bit of sadness is spotted in his eyes. Figures. He's a policeman; he does this for a living.

"Thank you, sir." I notice my voice is quite shaky when I speak. 

The small doors close and I can feel the truck moving through the quiet streets. I take my mom's hand and trace the lines on her palm like I used to do when I was a kid. I then squeeze it tight with no intentions whatsoever of letting go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the waiting room lying on a couch with a magazine in my hands, trying to get my mind off depressing thoughts. My eyes are burning and I'm certain they're very red by now. Flipping through the pages all I see is stuff I could care less about. Gossip about celebrities, high end fashion, scandals, and photos of skinny models caked with makeup. Some of these stories are actually interesting which I'm grateful for otherwise reading these magazines would be pointless, I turn the page and see a poster of One Direction... of course. I tear it out and open it up. The little table covered with dozens of magazines happens to have a sharpened pencil and I suddenly have a little smirk on my face. I take it and pierce holes all over Niall's face ripping his whole body out of the poster. This actually makes me feel a lot better so I rip him into bits until all that's left of Niall Horan are tiny pieces of paper that can’t be ripped any further. 

I turn on my phone and as I expected it’s full of messages and missed calls. I delete all the new messages from Niall and Jacob without even reading them. Right when I’m finished, I get an incoming call from Kimberly. I pick up.

“Sofia honey where are you? I went by your mom’s house and the police wouldn’t let me in. Are you okay?!”

“Yeah. I’m at the hospital. My mum got attacked by a few crooks and they’re fixing her up.”

“Oh my god! I’ll be there right away, just text me the address.”

“Sure thing. I’ll see you soon Mrs. Hemsworth.” I said and hanged up. I texted the address hoping she wouldn’t bring her sons.

I eventually got tired of reading and lazily dragged myself to the vending machine. I got 3 snacks and started munching on chips. The thing is I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I got through one bag of cool ranch Doritos in about 2 minutes.