Part 12

Skye tossed and turned, trying to get to sleep, but Kal's smug face kept floating before her. When she finally managed to get rid of that image, Cody took over with Terry in the background, a knowing smile on her pretty face. She gave up at 2am and swung her feet out of bed with a sigh. Ten minutes later, dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt she let herself out of the silent house and walked up the quiet street. She had no idea where she was going, but she kept walking. There was no one around at that time of the night. Her feet seemed to take her towards a deserted playground and she sat on one of the swings, letting it move gently.

She had been swinging for a few minutes when she felt a familiar chill.

'Can't sleep?'

She stared straight ahead, ignoring him. He would go away eventually.

The swing next to her moved and she instinctively stiffened. 'It's a good night to be awake.'

She caught sight of a shadowy figure on the swing from the corner of her eye. 'Is it?'

The shadow chuckled and tilted back his head to look at the star-filled sky above them. 'When you are always awake time merges together,' he glanced at her, 'but some nights are made to remember.'

She shivered as a stray breeze wafted around her. Hugging herself she pushed herself on the swing. 'That's very poetic,' she said, 'why are you here?'

There was a moment of silence and then he said, 'Can't I just spend time with one of my favourite people?'

She turned her head to look at him fully. 'You can, except I'm not one of those people.'

'Of course you are,' he replied, 'I feel closer to you than any of the others.'

She gave a humph of laughter. 'Why is that? Because you tricked me into signing the contract? Or because I was very young when you found me?'

'No,' he mused, 'I think it's your lack of fear. You've never been afraid to tell me exactly what you think.'

She pushed the swing higher. 'I'm glad you enjoy it,' she said, 'because there's plenty where that comes from.'

He laughed at her words. 'OK playtime is over. Have you found a way to get me the soul?'

She shook her head, 'No.'

'No?'

Skye took a deep breath. 'I don't want to.'

Before she could move he had left his swing and was standing in front of her, holding her swing steady so she couldn't move it nor escape past him. She looked up to see his dark eyes staring down at her.

'Why did you think you had a choice?' he asked in a soft voice.

She swallowed but kept silent.

'You are mine, your soul is mine.' He leant forward. 'You signed a contract. I give you another chance at life and you...' the whiteness of his smile dazzling against the darkness, 'do whatever I tell you to do.'

She looked away. 'I never agreed to do your dirty work.'

She felt his hand move to catch her chin and turn her face upwards. 'This is simply your punishment for saving that boy.'

'That's what I'm paid to do!' she cried out, 'Why do you want him anyway? There are so many others out there!'

He sighed and let go of her chin. 'I don't want just any soul. Do you still have no idea how I work? I only want souls that have a bright future.'

'Why?' she whispered.

'Because they want to live, they will do anything for a second chance at what they really want.' He smiled again. 'Just like you.'

She caught her breath as he bent over her so that he could whisper into her ear. 'Get me his soul, Skye, or else I take away your second chance, your choice.'

Thank you so much for reading so far!!!  Please let me know if you are enjoying this story and if you have any ideas I would love to hear about them!!!!