Chapter 5

"Look, the sun's rising," Farsight commented as she pointed to the sun rising slowly above the horizon.

"I wonder what will happen today," I said.

"I guess we'll just have to wait and find out."

~*~

"So it is with a heavy heart that I inform you all that Starflight, our friend, family, teacher, and companion is... is dead," Sunny announced solemnly.

Gasps were heard throughout the Great Hall. I could hear them all muttering about me. "No classes today. Today is a day of mourning," Sunny said, "And the library is closed today."

Once all the students had left, Fatespeaker began to sob. My friends tried to comfort her, but their attempts didn't work.

I missed my friends. Clay, the one who would do anything for his friends. Tsunami, who always protected her friends. Glory, who sometimes hid it, but always cared, and Sunny, the glue. I had grown up with them and they were more than my friends, they were my family.

I missed my father. I was never proud of what he did to the RainWings, but he cared for me. I remember first meeting him. He was so proud of me and I had felt proud of myself. Mastermind, my loving father.

I missed Fatespeaker so much. I never realized how much I really needed her until it was too late. I always knew that I loved her, but I never realized how much she mattered to me. She cared for me when I was injured and in need. It was as if a part of me was missing. Fatespeaker, the one I loved.

Thinking about them brought tears to my eyes once again.

How could I not look back when even the happy memories brought forth sadness?