19| Preparations

Daniels POV
I combed my hair for the hundredth time today, studying myself I'm the mirror, I anxiously styled my hair and straightened out my shirt.

Ugh should I go and change.

This doesn't actually scream 'responsible dad, ex-alky' I thought.

I ran to my family room, plumping the pillows and straightening the sofas before cleaning the unnecessary dirty dishes off the coffee table.

This had to be perfect.

My Princess was coming home.

Although it dawned on me.

This isn't her home.

The last home she remembers with me wasn't a small, two bedroom flat.

It was a little four bedroom cottage with a massive back garden with swings, a slide, monkey bars......
And most importantly, her mother.

I shook all those ideas out of my head. Alexa was relying on me and I couldn't let her down. I just hope she can forgive me. But just like the therapist said, baby steps. They said given my situation, it wasn't going to be easy, but if it's something I really wanted, social services were going to try their best to help.

I ran to the kitchen before almost burning my hand trying to make dinner.
I decided on making Beatrice's famous Paella which Alexa would always have two helpings of.
No, it didn't look as good as her mother's.
But yes, I tried my best but cooking was never my strong suit.

I took the piping hot dish out, being careful not to burn myself and let it cool.

But I sighed at the sight in front. The kitchen was an absolute mess. There was flour scattered everywhere, egg whites dripping onto the floor, packets of vegetables splayed out of the recycling bin.

Time to get to work.
I tried my best to get if all the filthy grime off all of my counters and I chucked most of my instant noodle packets into the bin outside.
Don't want them to think I'm unstable, do I?
I glanced at the alcohol on the wine rack but shook my head.
No, your clean. You don't have to do that.

I then thought I'd take one last look in the bedrooms. I went to my room first and it looked mainly tidy, nothing that was too bad though.
I then went to a soon-to-be Alexa's room when she was ready to come and live with me for good.

It wasn't the biggest room, it was small to average and I had installed a built-in cupboard and put in a belt, small desk and bookshelf.

But looking round, I sighed in defeat. How did I ever think this was going to happen?

I am up against 5 living brothers, a dad who is so much better than me and a mother. On top of that they all seem fairly well off.
In fact, I'm more than certain that my flat is the size of Alexa's bedroom.

But so what? I am trying to turn my life around so just because I have a small flat, it doesn't mean I couldn't size up later on.

I glanced sadly at the photo-frame that was on Alexa's bed and glanced at the photo. How could social services think Alexa was better off living with strangers?
I need Alexa and Alexa needs me, how is that so hard to understand?

But things were different now, and I wanted my princess back.

——————————————————————————

Ed's POV

I stopped Alex's shaking from anxiety leg.

Today was the day where Alexa would go for a weekend and visit her dad.

Why? Because the judge was probably high on drugs because no one in their right mind would let a girl go back to her abusive home.

We looked up the address and found out he lives in a two bedroom flat.

But I couldn't help but not sleep at all, sick with worry that something bad was going to happen.

What if Alexa got hurt?

What if this is some sick joke her dad was playing just to get her back?

What if-

"Ed, stop worrying, it's fine" a voice from behind said whoa I immediately recognised to be Simon.

"How do we know that though?" My voice cracked.

"We don't" he sighed. "We just have to trust that Alexa was telling us the truth all those times when she said how great her dad was when he was sober." He honestly said, sitting next to me.

He put his arm on my shoulder and breathed a sigh of exhaustion.

Although what Simon said was right, as much as hate to admit it, the burning question in my head still wasn't being answered.

I tended up in annoyances which Simon immediately sensed.

"Alright, what's really bothering you?" He asked.

I turned to him, howling back the tears.

"What if Alexa wants to live with him afterwards?"

A/N: Hi guys, how are you enjoying the book?

And most importantly, do you trust Daniel, or is he using her?

Do you like his character?

And will Alexa go and live with him if it all works out?

Let me know in the comments what you think might happen and if you enjoy the book!!!!

Thank youXxx