seven

"The funny thing about chasing the past is that most people wouldn't know what to do with it if they caught it."

***

***

A few days later, Hershel walked into my cell with some painkillers and a new bandage. He had been taking great care of me, and my leg was healing nicely. I could walk on it now, with a little help from someone to lean on, but other than that, I was doing a lot better.

"How are you feeling?" Hershel asked with a warm smile on his face, setting the pill bottle on the makeshift bedside table.

"My leg is a little sore. But other than that, I'm okay," I nodded, sitting up to lean against the bed. Carl had been sitting in here with me, reading a comic book to me.

"Carl, can you get a glass of water?" Hershel asked. He nodded and went to the kitchen. We have a water barrel there, for drinking water. Carl came back, and I thanked him and took the painkillers.

Hershel skillfully changed my bandages and tied them off.

"Are you up for star gazing tonight?" Carl asked eagerly, and I nodded looked to Hershel for his doctoring advice.

"If you feel up to it, then okay," Hershel smiled, and I nodded.

The sun began to set, and Carl led me outside where a blanket lay on the grass.  It was a warm night, and the sky was a mix of blues and pinks due to the setting sun.

Carl and I were sitting in comfortable silence, and he locked his hand in mine, and my heart fluttered slightly.

"You see that? That's the North Star. Always the biggest and brightest," he explained and pointed.

"If you ever get lost, just follow it, and you'll find your way home."

I nodded and mumbled, "Mhm."

We sat up, and he pulled a sterling silver necklace out of his pocket.

"Turn around," He smiled shyly.

I did, and he put the necklace on me. I looked at it and smiled.

"It's beautiful, Carl," I whispered.

"Thank you."

"Sky, I know this whole situation hasn't been easy. I know we've both lost so many people. I know we're young and don't know what we're even doing. I know you probably don't even feel the same way, but I like you," he smiled sheepishly and I could see his cheeks turning slightly pink

"Carl, I really like you too," I smiled back and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

***