Fifteen

FIFTEEN

The next afternoon, Alex and I were assigned to pick up the 'monsters' as Oliver designated them, and bring them home. The kids would be very excited about staying together a little more, and I understood that because it had been the same for me when I was younger, since my cousins and I were about the same age. For my sisters, on the other hand, being with the cousins was a little boring because they were younger so it was more of a chore to watch us, and I supposed Oliver and Alex were feeling that way about having their cousins coming over for the rest of the day and night. During the walk to is uncle and aunt's, which wasn't very long, Alex was a little gloomy.

"Cheer up, it's not like they're going to kill you or something!" I nudged Alex with my elbow.

"Yeah, but it's still kind of boring. I mean, if it had been only Hugo and Tom, it would've been fine because we could've watched fun movies, but my uncle and aunt are very strict about what their children are allowed to watch. Plus Kate is only four so you can't even watch the first Harry Potter with her." He pouted.

"How old are the two eldest already? Oh, and maybe you should tell me how they're called too, I don't think anyone told me."

"Harry is the same age as Hugo, and Charles is one year older than Tom."

"Cool."

"For them, yeah. For us, less so." He answered. "I mean, I love my cousins very much, but the fact they're younger just makes it harder to find common interests."

"We'll find something, don't worry. If the worst comes to the worst, you and Oliver can take care of the boys and I'll watch a movie or play with Kate."

"Would you be okay with that?" He asked as we turned in a street.

"Sure." I shrugged.

We stopped in front of a house that looked a bit like Alex's, but a little thiner and smaller. I could hear children laughing and shouting inside, which would be the soundtrack of the upcoming hours. Alex put his finger on the doorbell and turned towards me.

"Ready?" He asked, and I nodded. "Three... Two... One..."

And he pressed on the doorbell.

---

"Let it go, let it go, ba goubiga dadinore, let it go, let it go..."

Kate was sitting on the kitchen counter eating a cupcake and singing random disney songs in yogurt language. She was so cute. Her wavy blonde hair was tied in two little pigtails, and she looked around the room with her big blue eyes. We'd played a little when we got home, and I'd told her that before she went to bed, we would watch a movie. Her parents had asked us to put her to bed round about 8pm, maximum 8:30pm, so I planned to make her eat round about 6pm. Her brothers and cousins had left to play in Green Park, so we were home alone.

"So, Kate, it's 4:30, what do you want to do next? I'll tell you what we can do: we can play here, we can go and play at the park, or you can go and have your bath." I told her.

"I want to go to the park!" She said excitedly.

"Okay, do you want to take some games to the park?" I asked.

"I want to play ball!" She exclaimed. "Can you put me down, please?" She lifted her arms up so I could lift her up and put her on the ground.

"There you go!" I smiled.

"Thank you!" She started running towards the entrance, where a bag with stuff she needed for the weekend was waiting to be opened. She picked her ball up and tried to open the entrance door.