Ch. 38

Hey everyone.

Things are bad around here, but this is kind of an escape for me, so have this shorter chapter that I smashed out...?

As always, love you guys, enjoy the read.

Peter didn't get back to the hotel until late that night.

He had stayed close to Rhodey's room, keeping watch, after informing Happy of what he was doing.

The bodyguard had agreed to let him stay longer, and even brought him lunch.

They sat by the balcony in silence, Peter eating slowly, mind far away.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" The teen dropped the wrapper into a trashcan. "Do you honestly think he'll make it out of this okay?"

"Honestly?" Happy met his gaze unwaveringly. "Probably not. He'll need us. He'll need support, and that's what we can give him. So do I think he's gonna be okay by the end of this? No. But he can and will be. We just need to be there for him when he needs us."

"Yeah." Peter dropped back into his seat, tugging his legs up under him, and hiding a grimace.

Bruised ribs hurt like the blazes.

"Have you heard from him?"

"No. Not yet. I'm hoping that's not a bad thing."

Peter nodded tiredly. "You said Harley was on his way up here, right?"

"Yeah." Happy scrunched his wrapper up between his hands, making a halfhearted throw at the trashcan. "Thought you could use the company."

Harley: did you know that penguins have knees???

Me: Yup

Harley: oh

Harley: did u know that babies have around 100 more bones than adults

Me: ...no

Harley: HA

Harley: also did you know that our fingers get wrinkly in water for better grip?

Me: that I did know

Me: although when I was a kid I thought it was because I would turn into a raisin if I stayed in the bath too long

Harley: awwwwwwww

Me: shut up keener

Harley: but baby you sounds adorable

Harley: I should ask Tony for pics

Harley: thats a great idea

Me: Harley

Me: I’ll murder both of you and they’ll never find the body because I’ll ask MJ to help me bury it

Harley: whatever will I do

Harley: anyway

Harley: what do you call a spider with 20 eyes?

Me: idk what

Harley: a spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiider

Me: ha

Me: how original

The screen showed an incoming call, and Peter shot into a sitting position, swiping to accept it. “Happy?”

Hey kid. We found him.”

Tension released across his shoulders. “And?”

And it’s bad, but not as bad as we thought. Not as bad as it could’ve been. He’ll be fine. I’m guessing you’ll wanna sit with him?”

“I- yeah, yeah, probably.”

Alright. We won't get there for a few hours, so go back to the hotel, and try to get some sleep.”

“I don’t know how successful I’ll be with that.”

The next few hours were spent alternately texting Harley, sleeping in short increments, and eating.

In that order.

Anxiety twisted his stomach in knots, no matter how many times Hapoy assured him that Tony would be fine.

Eventually he lay down on the bed, covered his face with the pillow, and tried to force all thoughts out of his mind.

If he didn't think, he couldn't dream up worst case scenarios.

Smarts.

Or it would have been, if it had worked.

As it was, though, he eventually pulled out his phone to call May.

She didn't answer.

He dropped the phone with a soft groan, burying his face in the pillow.

Thus was going to be a long day.

Half an hour later, his phone chimed with an incoming text.

Two words.

Happy: We’re here

Then, a few seconds later, another.

Happy: Harley’s here too

Me: omw

Comment/vote if you enjoyed