Chapter 13

My talk with Alexis made me feel like a weight had been lifted off of my chest. My best friend is an amazing listener, and even better at giving advice. Her advice for me- focus on the race for tomorrow, and deal with Lando later. I know she is right, but her encouragement really puts it into perspective. Formula 1 is my main focus at the moment, not some arrogant boy.

I decide to spend the rest of my night extremely focused, so I can effectively push my problems to the side and concentrate on the challenging weekend ahead.

After my long talk with Alexis, I look at the time to see that team dinner was only fifteen minutes away. I glance at my wall, where the mirror is, and gasp at my reflection. My eyes are swollen and puffy, my cheeks are extremely red, mascara is smeared under my eyes. I need to fix my appearance before I head down to dinner with my coworkers, and possibly see Lando and his girlfriend Saph.

I walk into the bathroom and splash cold water onto my face to reduce the swelling after crying for an hour. I wash the mascara off of my cheeks and wipe my entire face with a cloth. After effectively cleaning my face, I decide to slather my face in moisturizer and proceed to beat my face with a light foundation to alter the redness on my face. I set it with some powder, fix my eyebrows and eyelashes, and highlight my face accordingly. I place my hair into a long ponytail, change into a white Mercedes sweatshirt and grey leggings. Quickly, I look into the mirror once more, somewhat satisfied with my appearance, and run downstairs for dinner.

Mostly everyone is sitting at the table when I arrive, and I sit in the seat next to George, my usual spot. I start eating my food promptly, speaking to my strategists about the race the following day, the usual. The conversation ends after a while and I eat in silence next to George. We are always super talkative at dinner, but his admiration for Sapphire has thrown me off a bit. I decide to keep to myself for a while, before he speaks to me first.

"Can I ask you something, Hannah? In private, after dinner?" George asks, concern in his eyes. I don't really know what to expect from George, as he has never asked me anything in such a serious tone.

"Um, yeah? Why exactly?"

"Something about what happened in the lobby this afternoon" he whispers back into my ear.

I internally groan. I have already tried hard to push my thoughts about this afternoon to the back of my head. This conversation with George is bound to ruin my concentration, to my own disadvantage.

We eat the rest of dinner in silence, and after the meal has finished I head to George's room, following him closely. I enter the room across from mine, and laugh at the crazy state of it- George's clothing was everywhere, his suitcase left open and disorderly. His bathroom counter was cluttered, and his bed was not made. I decide to clean the bed off, and make it so I can lay down while George talks with me. As I hop on the bed, he smiles and plops into a loveseat in the corner.

"So, Russell, what do you want?"

George looks at me and grins while putting his hand through his cropped hair.

"You like Lando," he says, smirking.

I freeze, my cheeks warming up profusely.

"What did you say?" I ask, voice cracking.

"You heard me Steeler. You like Lando."

"What makes you say that?" I suspect, burying my head into his sheets, hiding my beet red face.

"Well, for one, Saph sees you as a threat," George says, getting up to sit on the edge of the large bed. I glance up at George through my long eyelashes.

"She hates me for no reason. I have seen her once, and I thought she was one of Lando's one night stands!" I exclaim, defensively. I have to prove to him that I don't like Lando or he will tease me forever.