24

You checked your phone once more - yup, this was the right address.

The restaurant you were about to meet at was one your father chose. Not too expensive, but not cheap either; just right for your dad.

You nervously adjusted the hem of your turtleneck pullover before taking a deep breath and pushing the doors of the old fashioned brick building open.

He was always making such a big deal out of meeting up with you.

"Hello, dear!" He sounded friendly as your dad made you notice him, sitting at one of the tables in the back of the room.

"Hi, dad." You greeted back, smiling slightly.

You two hadn't met in a long time, yet the familiar picture of this man had imprinted itself into your brain ever since you were a kid.

Back then - till today, even - he always reminded you of a rock; Hard, rough face traits that never seemed to really change, no matter what.

His voice sounded warm and friendly? His face looked stern and blank.

He was shouting at you like a mad man? Well, his face looked blank.

"So, daughter." He began, "How've you been doing?"

"Good..." You smiled, because for once it wasn't a lie, "...yeah, pretty good."

He grunted approving, averting his attention away for a moment to take his order, just to turn back to you right after, "You never visit. It's almost like you cease to exist as soon as we part."

You looked away ashamed, knowing that you tended to push the thought of your dad away when he wasn't around, "Well-"

"I'm sure you were busy with your lovely Taemin." He cut you off, actually grinning for once.

Ah, right.

Your dad loved Taemin.

"Well, about that..." You started hesitant, but got cut off by him again.

"He sure is a fine young man! I'll be proud to call him my son-in-law one day."

He's a wet loser. A fucking disease.

"Dad, we broke up." You said quickly, before your father got to hype up this unsettling imagination of his.

"You-" His face fell immediately, back to his blank look, "What?"

"I broke up with him." You said again, more decidedly this time, "He was taking advantage of me,  and was a mean cunt in general. So I ended things."

The man flinched at your choice of words, but didn't say anything. He just huffed. The huff you heard so often before. The kind of sound that told you that 'you're being a dumb child and I know better than you'.

It was awfully quiet after that, no one attempting to start a conversation until the food got served.

"Dad, look, you wouldn't want a man like-"