30. Fairground

Walking towards the fairground feels so thrilling with every step we take. The blazing afternoon sun is bathing the buildings around in it's warm light. Tiny specks of dust seems to be dancing in it's shaft and the roads are shimmering in it's heat. The trees around the fairground are creating mysterious shadows being made by the dappled sun which is shining brightly.

"Bally have you ever been to the fair?" I ask him as we turn the final corner and my expectations and sheer suspense of this fair starts building to a peak.

"Yeah when I was a kid but I last attended them when I was eight years old. " He answers moving his eyes around. Sounds are pouring through the air and laser lights are lighting up the clouds making them seem somehow unearthly and weird because it's daytime. They look fantastic at night.

"Why? do you not fancy them?" I ask turning to look at him.

"No, I had nobody to bring me here because I was guarded most of the time. Bruce's father used to sneak me here but he died when I was eight. " I feel the ache in his voice and I unconsciously reach for his left arm, wrapping my hands around it as I lean my head against it and we saunter towards the huge wheel ahead of us.

We are following closely behind our team which consists of Dad, Cassandra, Na'zila, Bruce and Lodzin. Adding us into it we make a strong team of seven ahem! The wheel is shining like a circle of diamonds in the sky spangling bright and vivid even with the afternoon blazing sun.

"I'm so sorry Bally." I splutter still leaning my head on his arm. Ugh, I hate my pathetic height. The ballet flats I'm wearing are making me much shorter. Bally doesn't say anything and I notice that we're not moving. I move my eyes up to his face and I find him grinning widely down at me. "What? " I wheeze out astonished.

"You know you can hug me instead of suffocating my dear arm." He pulls his face into his common smug as his eyes dance amusedly.

"Stupid, like it breaths, I'm done huh." I let go of it as I swat it away and I start moving. He shakes his head chuckling and starts moving along with me.

Surely, the Brewster eye can't be bigger than this. How can they transport something this huge on the back of the lorry?

The next thing that hits me is the glorious warm smell unique to funfairs, that is the smell of a mingling of frying hotdogs, burgers, fried onions, candyfloss, coffee and diesel full. Imagine the combination of all those smells. Add the smell of sweat and different colognes and perfumes around. But it's a delight of senses that is, the lights, the smells and the thought of tastes I can get from those foods.

Even the very air feels electric as if it is alive and urging us to take part of it. We have already paid for the tickets at the main gate. We amble to the carousel ring and once we're there I'm asked to ride it with Lodzin and Ballice is asked to ride with Bruce. He refuses at first but after I give him a wink nodding my head, he gives in and we strap into our seats lodzin's weight weighing me down.

Yes, this is it, the already electrified air becomes much more alive and this time with more feelings. As the safety restraint descends over our shoulders, I feel more safe if that's the right word I can use in this about to start ride.

With a jolt, our necks are tossed backwards and off goes, twisting, turning, lights flashing like the vast strobes of concert. As the carousel's speed increases, we start moving higher and higher spinning round fast. I let every part of my body, soul and mind feel this moment.

Honestly, riding the carousel is for kids but I never grew up I bet, every year I do ride it with Lodzin even before he was born I used to ride it alone still. I'm not going to stop any soon, I guess so.