PC │012

【A L V I N】

The first few minutes I'd spent in Lucien's home were nothing but awkward, to say the least. We just stayed seated beside each other on the couch without saying a single word. He was busy playing with the ends of his shirt and I was looking around like a lost soul, taking in my surroundings one at a time - and then, I broke the silence when I could no longer handle it. 

"Hey, this is going to sound completely random," I began, looking anywhere but at him. "But, would it be okay if I introduced you to my friends?"

"Why would you want to do that?" he questioned out of genuine curiosity. "I mean, not that I mind - but still, for what purpose?"

"When you said you don't have anyone to bring over you made it sound like you weren't in good relations with anyone at all," I said, trying my best to come off as anything but mean and intrusive. "I'm sorry if that sounds offensive-"

"It doesn't, I totally get what you mean," he began. "And that's not an exaggerated assumption to make, I never really thought it would be this hard to make friends, especially in such a.. what I assumed was a tight-knit neighbourhood."

I let out a shaky breath. Once again, I found myself thinking about the time when I'd seen him in his bedroom, the time when I'd seen those alcohol bottles in his living room, the time when I'd seen him on his phone and the time when I'd seen his knuckles. 

"I'm pretty sure you'll get along well with my friends," I reassured. "There's nothing to worry about."

"I tend to say controversial things sometimes though," he confessed. "I might tick some of you off with that."

"Controversial things like?" 

"Like; pineapple does belong on pizza. Everyone who votes against it has either never tried it before or just hates on it because it's apparently a trend to do so," he stated all in one breath before glancing over at me. "I'm pretty sure that would be enough to scare all of them away."

"Well, for all it's worth I actually agree with you," I began. "The rest of my friends have never tried it though."

"No way," he gasped. "Traitors. How come you never got them to try it?"

"Good point, maybe you can help me out with that," I offered with a subtle grin to which he simply rolled his eyes with a tinge of amusement evident on his face.

"Are you inviting me over to hang out with your friends or just because you want me to get rid of those roaches?" he questioned, raising his brow at me. 

"Both," I stated with a teasing grin on my face. "I'm kidding."

He looked away with a soft chuckle and then silence fell upon us once again. That was when I took the opportunity I had been presented with and glanced down at his knuckles. The wounds look like they hadn't been treated at all.

"Hey, don't you think you should treat those?" I blurted out before I could help myself.

"Huh?" he questioned before following my gaze and looking down at his knuckles. "Oh, I mean.. yeah, I probably should."

"Do you want me to help you out with that?" I offered. 

"That.." he began, looking over at me for just a second before half a smile made its way onto his face, "would be really nice, thank you." 

I returned the grin before standing up, "Can you show me where the first aid kit is?"

"Of course, follow me," he instructed before standing up as well and beginning to lead the way. Eventually, we ended up in his washroom and he pulled open the door to the mirror cabinet before taking out the kit. He placed it onto the countertop before turning around to face me, "Now what?"

"Sit," I instructed, and he hopped onto the counterrtop obediently before extending his hand out towards me. I took a hold of his hand, making sure I was being as gentle as possible before pressing down onto the bruise gently in order to see what sort of response I'd elicit from said action. 

He look out a soft hiss, "That hurts."

"Are you sure you didn't break anything?" I questioned, worry setting in. "Try straightening your fingers." He followed and straightened them out right away with seemingly no problem at all. "Now try curling them again." Once again, he complied with no issues. 

"I don't think they're broken. I've broken my knuckles before," he informed. "It was different from this. The bruise will probably disappear in a week."

"Still, you should get an x-ray performed," I suggested. "Neither of us are doctors, and it's better to be safe than sorry."

"You propose a good point," he nodded. "Don't worry, I'll get it checked out by a doctor by tonight at the latest."

"Good, I'm sorry I wasn't of much help," I began. "I only know basic first aid, this is more than I can work with."

"I appreciate you for trying and for your concern though," he confessed. "And thank you for not asking about it."

"I don't think it's any of my business to know, you would've told me if you wanted to," I responded with a shy smile. "Anyway, I should probably get going now. Promise me you'll get that checked out by a doctor?"

"Cross my heart," he chuckled. 

"Good, oh and would you like my number so I could text you when my friends come over?" I requested as I began to set the first aid back into its initial position. He didn't say anything in response, instead he just handed over his phone and waited for me to enter my number in - which, I did, before handing back the phone to its rightful owner. 

"That's all then?" 

"I guess so," he shrugged. "Are you going to be leaving now?"

"I guess so," I parroted. 

"I'll walk you out in that case," he suggested before hopping off of the counter and beginning to lead the way back to the front door. Once we'd gotten there, he pulled the door open with his uninjured hand and waited for me to walk out. Before I could turn and leave, however, he stopped me by clearing his throat. 

I turned around in confusion with a raised brow as he simply stood in his position with an amused smile threatening to make its way onto his face, "If you see a roach again - don't be shy, wake me up."

I couldn't tell if that was him making fun of me, but I simply rolled my eyes, "Will do, Inspector Auclair." 

And with that, I turned and left.