Chapter 15 - All Day We Talk About Gabriel

Start from the beginning

"Oh, my god. I would die!" Samantha laughs.

"She almost did," I grin back at her.

Ashley hits me, playfully and I laugh. Now, that's it's over. The whole thing is pretty freaking funny. From getting walked in on by Gabriel, to almost getting caught by Jeff.

"It gets better. So, Gabriel walks in on us, which was super embarrassing. He apologized and then got whatever he wanted and goes to leave."

Both Tiffany and Samantha are entranced by Ashley's retelling of our afternoon's adventure. Looking equal parts horrified and amused.

"So, he opens the door, and we hear him say, 'Hi, Jeff.' I pretty much crapped my pants when he did," Ashley laughs and shakes her head.

"What the hell was he doing there?" Tiffany asks.

"Sebastian had a private this afternoon that got canceled, and he was coming to let him know."

Both girls groan in unison when she tells them this.

"That's the worst luck," Samantha says.

"Yeah, well, I probably should've checked the schedule this morning," I say with a chagrined smile.

"You didn't check the schedule?" Ashley rolls her eyes at me.

"Good job, Sebastian," Tiffany agrees with a laugh. Then adds with a dreamy sigh, "You're lucky that Gabriel is so awesome."

We sit there for the next couple of hours, talking before we make our way to the food hall for dinner. I don't see Gabriel at dinner to thank him, Hayden isn't there, either. I see Harrison, though.

"Hey, dude." I smile at him as I sit down next to him.

Ashley sits on my other side, and her friends sit across from us, both looking disappointed. I realize that they were probably hoping Gabriel and Hayden would be here. I wonder where they are.

"How was your afternoon?" Harrison asks while smirking at me.

I roll my eyes at him, "That depends, what have you heard?"

Harrison looks surprised. "Well, nothing, but I knew you were going to hang out with Ashley this afternoon. What happened?"

Ashley and I relay the story of our afternoon, with Tiffany and Samantha finding it equally as amusing the second time around, and Harrison is laughing so hard that he's crying.

"Oh, shit, that's hilarious."

"Yeah? You love the idea of doing the end of camp performance without anyone playing lead guitar, do you?" I ask him, but I'm grinning when I do.

"We'd find someone to fill your spot," Harrison teases me.

I snort, "As if. I'm irreplaceable."

"If you say so. I guess Gabriel really saved your ass, then?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, he did. I'm not so dumb that I'm unaware of that, and even so, I've had it pointed out to me...more than once."

Harrison doesn't say anything for another minute, and we eat in silence. Ashley is talking to Tiffany and Samantha about their plans for tomorrow. Dinner tonight is roast beef, and it's not bad. I chew a mouthful, and stupid Gabriel is in my head, again.

I really want to thank him for today and ask him why he would do me a favor like that. I'm sure it's just out of his own self-interest, despite what Harrison said, finding another person for the performance would probably be a pain in the ass.

I'm still thinking about this when Harrison speaks again. "I'd really like you to reconsider the idea of having Gabriel in our band, Sebastian."

He says it in such a serious tone, and I snap my head around to look at him. The other times that he's mentioned the idea, I knew that he was mostly just teasing me because he knew I didn't like Gabriel, but this time I can tell that he's for real.

"Why?" I ask him instead of just shooting down the idea.

"You know why," Harrison shrugs his shoulders at me.

He's right, I do know why. It's because I can't get those lyrics out of my head. It's because Gabriel is an excellent musician. It's because I've had a brilliant time working with him this week and because if I'm being honest with myself, I want to do more of it.

Even if he hadn't covered my ass today when I really needed him to, I probably would've come to this conclusion sometime soon.

"Did Heather tell you to get Gabriel in the band?" I ask him with a grin.

Harrison shakes his head. "This isn't about Heather. I'm asking you because I want him in the band, too."

"Too?" I raise an eyebrow at him. "You say that as though I want him in the band."

"Don't you?" Harrison asks me.

I sigh heavily and admit to him, "Yeah, I do."

"Well. Here's hoping that he wants to be in a band with us. Can you imagine if he says yes and Hayden says yes, as well? We'll be unstoppable." Harrison has a massive smile on his face, and his eyes have kind of glazed over as he thinks about the possibilities.

"You know what? I think you're right."

Our song is so good. Gabriel has a book full of epic lyrics that we could turn into songs that are just as good, if not better. For a second, I feel like I can see the future that Harrison is seeing, one with us as the number one rock band in the world.

Well, shit. I have a bandmate, maybe two...and I can't believe I'm actually going to ask Gabriel Knight if he wants to be number three.