then.

Caroline.

My dad hadn't been home all day, he had been at work, working at a scene. He was a photographer for crime scenes and police investigations. He was suppose to take me downtown at four to go look for a dress for New Years Eve, but with it already being six I don't think we will be able to go anymore.

My mom had to my grandparents and take care of her mother since she had just gotten out of a surgery for her kidney. Usually when my parents are gone I have to take car of my younger brother, but he is over at a friends house so I am at home alone.

My bedroom windows are all open despite the rain and that it is only about 40 outside. My room over looks the skyline of Seattle and we live in the quaint neighborhood of Magnolia. I have the best room in the house and my parents gave it to me for that reason.

My radio is play runaway by Ed Sheeran with the volume turned all the way up and I can't help, but dance along little bit.

"Ro!" I hear my named be called from outside. I go over to my iPod and turn the volume down a little. I go to my window and see my friends Ivy and Lilia standing in the fog and cold.

"What are you guys doing?" I say as I sit at the window.

"Wanted to see if you would like to go out tonight? Roman is having like a small party tonight and he invited you! There is gonna be like a band and stuff." I was suppose to wait for my dad to get home to see if we were still gonna go out, but these are the few last nights on break.

"I'll be down in a second!" I call out the window. I close my windows and grab my purse that is sitting on my floor next to the bed.

When I get downstairs I write a note to my parents and stick it on the counter for them to see when one of them gets home. I open the front door and Ivy and Lilia are siting in Ivy's 1980 Nissan Cherry. The music is blasting and they are singing along to the top of their lungs. I open the passenger job and climb behind Lilia to get into the back.

The rain is coming down pretty heavy now and it is already dark out. I am not sure where we are going at first, but I know later that we are going to our old friends house to go to his party.

"How did you even hear about this party?" I ask them as I look out the window.

"Well we went to the market today and Roman was there working at the fruit place and told us about it. It was his idea to invite you, by the way." I haven't talked to Roman in like six months and I don't know why he thought he should remember to invite me.

"Where are we going?"

"To pick up boose. My cousin said if I gave him money he would buy us some for tonight." I go along with them and just let what happens happen.

Ivy continues to drive down the freeway until she gets off at an exit that is in the middle of the city. She pulls up to a small gas station and turns off the car. She gets out of her car and walks to behind the place and waits there until she comes back about ten minutes later with two large brown paper bags.