Chapter 1: Broken

Song on the side >>>>>>
Crazy In Love by Beyonce.

Zayn's POV

The soft thump of raindrops echoed throughout the apartment as I silently stared out the window with tears threatening to slip. My gaze was fixed on the spot where her car was previously parked and the painful memory of her driving away was still fresh in my mind. It had been almost five hours since she had left and not one minute passed by without thinking of her, remembering the happiness and warmth that emanated from her when she was next to me.

All the memories we shared came rushing back, but this time it only angered me. My hands balled up into fist and I swiftly got up. I grabbed the nearest object to me and threw it at the wall with groundbreaking force. Why would she leave? Crash. How could she? Another shatter. My vision blurred. After everything... My breathing became unsteady, my chest heaving up and down. Tears finally began to stream down my face as I smashed object after object until I came across a picture of us. We looked so happy, so alive, so.....in love.

Love. The word made me cringe. I set the picture down gently, looking to see how much damage I had done. The apartment was wrecked, pieces of china shattered and paper strewn across the floor, but I didn't care. I snatched a coat from my closet, took my car keys and rushed out the door, slamming it behind me.

I ran into the elevator as fast as I possibly could, trying to forget the painful memories that were burning in my mind. The "ding," signaled that the elevator had come to the first floor, and I immediately dashed out. I escaped the building and the memories within it and approached my black R8 Audi. I got into the car, put the key in the ignition, and forcefully pressed my foot on the gas pedal. I swerved onto highway, tires screeching in the process.

My mind was clouded with thoughts of her; her laugh, her smile, her humor, and mostly just the happiness that always came from her. But now, she was gone. I didn't know what hurt more: her absence or her taking everything away, with her. I meant nothing to her anymore, yet she still meant the world to me.

The thought was too much. I pulled over to the side of the road, and dug my hands into my pockets, finding the red velvet box that I was supposed to give her tonight. My jaw clenched as I stared at the ring. It was strange how far reality drifted from dreams--far enough to break my heart. Rage pulsed through me and then the car door slammed. I ran. I ran as fast as I could until I reached the woods. I didn't stop. I ran deeper and deeper into the forest. Rain fell, making my hair stick to my forehead and getting my shoes muddy.

I abruptly came to a stop as the edge of a large cliff began to reveal itself. Had I really run so far? So high? I slowly stumbled forward, towards the edge, only to find a breathtaking view of the city. The rain had begun to slow down by the time that I had ran all the way here, and my clothes were completely soaked. I lifted my arm back and swung it forward, letting the minuscule box fall from my sweat coated hands and watched it plummet to the ground below the cliff.

I sat down, feet dangling off the edge, as I grabbed my pack of cigarettes and lit one, bringing it to my mouth. I silently watched the street lights flicker on as the building lights began to shut off. There was no one to push me around here, both literally and emotionally. The sun started to set, creating the illusion of paint strokes in the sky. Splashes of red and purple were dominant, but every hue was in between. The canvas above me brought great aesthetic pleasure. It was ironic how peaceful it was outside in comparison to how much of a wreck I was inside. Clouds of smoke whisked in the air, swirling in every direction as I blew outwards. I sat there, staring at the city as the day changed into night, stars becoming more prominent.

I just wanted to forget that any of this ever happened. I just wished that this would all be a terrible nightmare that I would eventually wake up from. But I knew that wouldn't happen. I knew that the love of my life left me and I knew that I was confused as to why. But all in all...

I knew I was broken.

*************

I hope you liked it. ;) There might be a few errors but I'll fix them. :)

~R