Chapter Five Getting to know

Adam's POV

I feel her go completely limp in my arms, I just sigh. I walk back to my room and tuck her in under the covers. I glance around see the paperwork for Malcolm sitting on my desk. I snatch it up and take it back to Aaron. I step into the kitchen and notice that Kimmie has magically cleaned everything up already and the dishwasher is running.

Aaron is sitting at the table. The twins are tucked in their car seat asleep still.

"Hey I got the paperwork. Post it and give Malcom a copy but make sure that we have a copy of it. If people have problems or we need to rearrange things I want a copy of the original."

"Totally. Anything else?" Aaron questions.

"Yeah Can you get me Alpha Turner's number. And find out about the pack that Grace's ex came from. I think when they were last here with missing flyers it had some information on the idiot."

"I'll ask around. I think I still have her flyer hanging in my office. If she's running, they're most likely looking for her you know. His alpha isn't going to just drop it you know."

"Well good thing we can hide things. Anybody comes looking for her, they'll find a fight that they aren't prepared for." I tell Aaron. He nods.

"I'm going to make sure that she's still asleep. Maybe sneak a nap in as well. Call me if you guys need me." I say as I start to go back to my room. I find Grace curled up in a ball in the middle of my bed.

I crawl into bed next to her. I gently pull her against against me. As if on instinct, Grace wrapped herself around me.

This isn't how I saw the rest of my life. I was perfectly okay with being single. After everything that happened with Cassidy, I was ready to tell my second chance mate good-bye. What Cass had pulled made me angry, hut and disappointed in myself. I trusted her and she left us.

But seeing Grace this way is even worse. It makes me sick to my stomach that someone could hit her.

My hold tightens a little as she shifts in her sleep.

I want to make sure that she's taken care of and she's protected. But the thought of being a father to her daughter scares.

After awhile I fall asleep fighting the battles in my head.

Grace's POV

Adam's wrapped around me when I wake up. The room is dark and I can tell it's past midnight. I want to fall back asleep but I have this pressing need to use the bathroom.

I slowly struggle to make my way out of Adam's arms. I look around for the doorway to the bathroom.

I push myself up and feel around for something to hold me up. I finally manage to make it to the bathroom after some struggles.

I look at myself in the mirror.

My hair needs to be cut and I look like I need another four days of straight sleep. But I'm thankful to be alive.

I sit down and pee. I'm still so tired from running for the last two weeks. Fourteen days of nothing but the fear of going back to that hell hole that kept me going. That kept the drive to keep my daughter safe. My muscles are so sore now. I ache from my shoulders to my toes.

I can't help but replay that night that I ran over and over again in my head. Darren's Alpha Brady thought that something was going on. The home check always pissed Darren off. And his temper knows no end. Always a couple days before the home, just enough time for my bruises to heal by the time Brady got there. But Brady didn't come and neither did Darren.