❀Unexpected❀

Sometimes I wonder if the world would ever decide to stop its revolution. Other times I wonder if time would slow down so that I can get a sense of what's happening around me. Lately, everything has felt as if it was going against time- against me- the opposite of what I wanted.

I sat alone in a tiny office facing a vacant executive chair. The space had a minimalistic design: shelves filled a singular book shelf, a large mahogany desk separated the two sole chairs, and an off-white rug hugged a space on the floor.

Shifting in the chair I hugged myself, trying to warm up from the harsh coldness of December that came annually, but this couldn't beat the freezing temperatures of my heart.

The recent passing of my grandmother tormented me. It felt as if I lost my own mind and soul. I can still remember how it all went, everything was normal: she made us breakfast, we sat down and ate talking about recent events, and then I left for my daily walk. I always tried to make it back quickly as I couldn't stomach leaving her for so long alone, but that day I decided to stay out longer and watch the flowing river, my selfishness getting the better of me. I closed my eyes taking in a sharp breath as I relived the moment.

Suddenly, the door opened and my eyes were fixated on the slim older woman before me, Mrs. Moore, my social worker. She moved her petite frame to the vacant chair and gave me a small smile before speaking.

"Chloë, it's so nice to see you today." She chirped.

I gave her my best smile, which was more of a flick of one side of my mouth. She continued, taking my actions as a cue.

"I have very good news to tell you," she began, "We have found one of your more... distant cousins and she has agreed to take you in. Isn't this great?"

Sensing my mood, she stood from her seat giving me no chance to respond.

"Now listen, she's your only hope. If you're not going to give this a chance you'll be headed to the nearest orphanage." Her voice as stern as I assumed a mother's would be.

I nodded knowing she worked hard to keep me from being placed in the system.

Mrs. Moore was very close friends with my grandmother and I'm sure she felt as if she had to give me a home in honor of her.

"Good." she smiled her eyes wrinkling at the corners. "I know this is short notice, but you'll be leaving for the city in two days."

She continued to blabber about my cousin, the city I'll be moving to and the new opportunities I'd have but I couldn't help but think on the memories I'd be leaving behind, the moments I couldn't recreate.

After what felt like hours she stopped and gave me a cautious look, "How do you feel about this?"

I stared at her letting a few seconds pass.

"I'm happy." A faux little smile etched on my face.

I'm happy.

Two words that cried lies.

She hopped up, moving around the table to hug me. Trying not to offend her I did the same patting her back lightly.

Sometimes I wished that the world would just let me off, others I wish it would hide me away from the harsh reality.